Considering the present situation we have called off the ongoing trek to Goecha La. Wisely the trekkers were not allowed by Sikkim police today to start the trek from Yuksom. Safety being our primary concern on mountains, we decided that our trekkers will return to Siliguri tomorrow morning.
However our trekkers are in relaxing mood and day hiked to Dubdi monastery and back few hours back. Mountains and trails will be there to return again :- ).
The following updates may be useful for the parents, spouse, relatives, friends, colleagues and near and dear ones of the trekkers who are on the Dzongri-Goecha La trail. We are constantly in touch with the local people at Yuksom and try to give relevant information as per our capability.
- Today no permits were given from the Yuksom check post by Sikkim police. It is very likely that trekkers will not be allowed to trek in next few days.
- The weather at Yuksom is partly shiny and cloudy, as expected during this spring/summer time.
- Tremor up to magnitude of 6.7 is felt from Yuksom today. No damages are reported.
- Groups which started the trek on 25th April from Yuksom and were at Sachen/Bakhim/Tsokha yesterday night have returned to Yuksom today safely.
- Groups which are already further up to Dzongri and above don’t get any network connectivity. We expect that trekkers are safe. As most of trekkers pitch tent on the trail and the huts on the trail are single storied wooden structures, so the chance of any kind of injury is minimal. We pray for the trekkers to return to Yuksom safely.