- 2-4 Days short trek
- Easy Grade Treks in Himalayas
- Easy Snow Treks
- Fall Treks
- Family friendly
- Spring Treks
- Winter Treks
Dayara Bugyal Trek:
- Upcoming group fixed departures to Dayara trek starting on 19th & 26th Dec from Dehradun.
- Private/customised treks for your own group/family is open as per your preferred date. TREK FEE will be same for a group of 6 to 8 persons i.e. ₹ 8950 + 5% GST per person (Raithal to Barsu) and will be proportianately lower for 9 persons or more in a private/customised tour.
COVID update and guidelines (Updated 10th Aug 2021):
1) As per the COVID protocols, As per current rule you need to carry either a fully vaccinated certificate or a negative RT-PCR report not older than 72 hours on arrival. Note that during the pandemic, Govt. advisories and state/UT guidelines are constantly evolving. Please check the latest updates before traveling. Also check the rules/requirements of your origin state while you re-enter after travelling.
2) All tourists entering Uttarakhand need to fill in the details following Dehradun Smartcity COVID registration portal and by filling this MANDATORY Uttarakhand Travel Card.
3) Usual COVID protocols, SOPs, social distancing are to be followed.
For any queries or clarification do consult with us.
About the trek:
Dayara Bugyal trek is perhaps one of the shorter hikes on the Himalayas although nothing in short to produce high rewards. The enchanting views of snow capped peaks, sprawling meadows and encompassing thrill of a summit. Dayara an alpine meadow, locally called “Bugyal” is surrounded by dense alpine forest, elevated and spread above 11000 ft. Location wise it is in the district of Uttarkashi, Garhwal division, Uttarakhand. In the summer and monsoon the stretch of the lush meadow is dotted with myriads of tiny flowers. During winters the meadow is covered with fresh snow. The crest of the Bugyal is a top called Bakriya top offering a magnificent 360° panoramic view. In addition of Gangotri region peaks, you can also see the of mighty Himalayan peaks of Bhilangana range. Some of the notable are Bandarpoonch, Jaonli, Rudragaira, Srikanth, Gangotri– I, II and more. No wonder that Dayara Bugyal is an enchanting trail and adored by amateur and veteran trekkers alike.
Day 1: Dehradun to Raithal drive via Uttarkashi – 190 Km – 8/8 hours
Day 2: Trek to Goi – 4 Km – 3/4 hours
Day 3: Trek to Chilapra – 4 Km – 2/3 hours. In the afternoon explore the meadows
Day 4: Early morning trek to Bakriya top and descent to Barnala – 12 Km –7/8 hours
Day 5: Trek back to Barsu – 5 Km – 2/3 hours – Drive to Dehradun – 190 Km – 8 hours
- Trekkers need to reach on their own to Dehradun on Day 1 morning (by 8 am) or the previous night. Return to Dehradun on Day 5 evening (around 8 pm). Arrange your tickets for inward journey and back to home from Dehradun accordingly.
- Last ATM at Bhatwari, 12 Km before trek base Raithal. However it is wise to withdraw cash from Dehradun or Uttarkashi.
- All major mobile networks work at Raithal. During trek you will get intermittent connection, here and there.
The local habitats of surrounding villages like Raithal, Barsu, Salan, Agora,consider this Bugyal to be a holy one. Especially the shepherds and monsoon settlers who come here each year to graze their cattle. Van Gurjars/Gujjars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurjar#Van_Gurjars) are pastoral semi nomadic community and spend the summer and monsoon in this area. locals celebrate a month long butter festival on the birthday of Hindu God Krishna, the eighth avatar of Vishnu & the narrator of Bhagbat Geeta. Daraya, being well accessible in the months of winter, is a good destination for beginners to experience snow and to master the technicalities of hiking in a snowy terrain before going to a longer duration Himalayan trek.
The trek starts and ends at two picturesque villages Raithal and Barsu.
This trail also fits well for them who wish for an outdoor experience with family and children. It’s a nice way to introduce your kids to nature in Summer to Autumn. This experience will give the scope to learn from local culture and lifestyle in broad spectrum. Beautiful campsites are adequate to give you a complete experience in itself. Though shorter in duration than most other winter treks, yet views, meadows, camping and adequate snow suggest that Dayara Bugyal trek has strong promise for a popular winter trekking destination. Here is one Dayara Bugyal winter snow trek photo story from our trekkers.
Altitude and distance profile graph for Dayara Bugyal trek:
Check the below pictorial representation for our Dayara Bugyal trail
Clothing for Dayara Bugyal trek:
It is important to carry proper clothing in winter as the campsite temperatures are sub zero in winter.
Winter: From December to February during winter the daytime temp remains cool and nights are cold. Night/early morning temperature at Raithal, Jungle camp and above can be around 5°C, 0°C to 2°C and -5°C to -10° C.
Three layers of clothing is mandatory in the campsite while outside tent.
1) A thermal base layer (warm woolly-cot material).
2) A heavy jacket (Double layer or Fleece jacket ) as middle layer.
3) A windproof cum waterproof with hood as the outer layer.
Summer & Fall: Day time weather remains warm and pleasant. Night/early morning temperatures at camp sites can be from 10°C (lower camps) to 5°C (higher camps)
You will not require the thermal base layer from May to October.
Access to Dayara Bugyal trek base (Raithal):
Based upon your request we will arrange a pick up and drop from Dehradun to Raithal and from trek end point Barsu to Dehradun back. This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is Rs 5000 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. This can accommodate 6 to 8 people. A Tempo Traveller charges Rs 8000 (12-14 seat) one way. This is NOT included in the TREK FEE.
To reach the trek base Uttarkashi independently/public transportation check the details in GETTING THERE TAB.
Download the list of things to carry in Dayara Bugyal trek
Duration: 4 days of trekking; Walking from Raithal to Dayara Bugyal, summit to Bakriya top and descent to Barsu. 5 days from Dehradun to Dehradun.
Prerequisite: No prior trekking experience is required. Good physical fitness is always desired in any trek.
Trail Length: 25 Km
Highest Point: Dayara Bugyal ~ 3350m/11000ft; Bakriya top ~ 3660 m/12005 ft
Seasons: Year round trek. December to February (Winter/Snow) and March/April (Spring/snow)
Further Option: From Dayara Bugyal one can combine the trek to Dodital.
Access: Trek starting point (trek base) is Raithal village, 180 Km from Dehradun.
Rail station: Dehradun (Station Code: DDN)
Airport: Delhi, Jolly Grant in Dehradun (Airport Code: DED)
Upcoming scheduled dates for Dayara Bugyal trek:
- You can check the scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 5 days itinerary).
- At present BOOK NOW functionality is disabled. You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach Dehradun on Day 1 morning (latest by 8 am) or the previous night. Return to Dehradun on Day 5 evening (around 8 pm). Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return accordingly
|REPORTING LOCATION||Dehradun railways station|
|REPORTING TIME||8:00 AM for a prompt departure to Uttarkashi (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 9:00 PM (Day 5)|
How to reach Uttarkashi (The trek base):
Nearest Rail station: Dehradun (Station Code: DDN)
Nearest Airport: Delhi, Jolly Grant in Dehradun (Airport Code: DED)
We will arrange a pick up and drop from Dehradun to trek base Raithal and from Barsu to Dehradun back. This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is Rs 50000 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. This can accommodate 6 to 8 people. A Tempo Traveller charges Rs 8000 (12-14 seat) one way. This is NOT included in the TREK FEE and to be payable directly to the driver/owner.
If you wish to reach our Trek Base Uttarkashi on your own by public transportation:
- From the Govt. Roadways bus stand at Dehradun (beside railways station, also called Mussoorie stand) you will get a direct bus to Uttarkashi at 8 am.
- You will get direct buses to Uttarkashi in the morning from Haridwar and Rishikesh as well.
- Similarly from Uttarkashi you can get a bus to Dehradun/Rishikesh in the morning.
How to reach Dehradun:
For the treks at Uttarkashi district in Garhwal , one has to reach the capital city of Uttarakhand, Dehradun, specially the trek starting from Sankri, Yamunotri etc. Haridwar, Rishikesh and Dehradun are 3 nearby cities in the area and one can move from one to another by public vehicles like bus or shared Jeeps.
For more options to reach Haridwar you can check here.
Haridwar to Dehradun: 55 Km and may take one and half to 2 hours.
Dehradun to Rishikesh: 45 Km and may take around one and a half hour.
You can fly or by train reach New Delhi as per your convenience from any part within India.
There are direct trains from Kolkata to Dehradun.
KUMBHA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12369 ( Very good option to reach Haridwar by 5 pm; You can take a bus from the terminus just opposite to the railway station referred as Roadways bus stand/ISBT and reach Dehradun in one and half hour. Spend the night in Dehradun and start your onward journey by car next morning.)
UPASANA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12327 ( Very good option to reach Dehradun directly by 5 pm; Spend the night in Haridwar and start your onward journey by car next morning)
DOON EXPRESS – Train No. – 13009 (Don’t book this train when you plan a long onward journey immediately in the morning)]
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berths and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Dehradun is easily reached from New Delhi by train or bus (~ 6/7 hours) and is around 260 Km
Following trains are good to reach Haridwar and run daily.
DDN JANSHTBDI – Train No. 12055 (Arrives HW in the evening @ 9:10 pm, good choice when you stay the night in Dehradun and have a long drive ahead next day)
NANDA DEVI EXP – Train No. 12205 (arrives HW early morning @ 5:40am)
Always avoid booking waitlisted (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Govt. Road Transport (Roadways of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana, Punjab etc.) buses are frequently available in day time and night from Kashmiri Gate ISBT (http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/doit_transport/Transport/Home/ISBT/Fare+Chart). Tickets are available on board for these regular type buses. From Delhi Airport or Station you can reach ISBT Kashmiri Gate via Delhi Metro service (http://www.delhimetrorail.com/metro-fares.aspx). It is only 4 Km from NDLS and can be reached easily by booking an auto rickshaw.
For privately operated bus, you can book online from different portals. Select a boarding point suitably. Overnight Volvo/A.C/Push back buses are available. Normally these buses take up to 7 hours to reach Dehradun ISBT. You can book an auto rickshaw for Railway Station (5 Km away)/Hotel Drona (GMVN) or take a shared auto (Route No. 5) from ISBT.
[There are two major bus terminus in Dehradun. The buses from Delhi/Haridwar goes to the ISBT (Inter State Bus Terminus) and the other one is the Parvatiya Depot (Hill Depot, from where you can get the buses going up the hills like Uttarkashi, Barkot, Purola etc) located just beside the Railway station.
Nearest Airport Jolly Grant is 25 Km away from Dehradun. book a private taxi to reach Dehradun city. This airport is accessed from Dehradun, Haridwar and Rishikesh easily. The flights are mostly via Delhi.
For night stay in Dehradun:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Dehradun. There are several options in Dehradun for spending a night while staying in Premium, Standard or Budget accommodation. Options vary from Privately operated Hotels/Lodges, to state run Tourist Rest Houses.
State run GMVN (Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam) operates Hotel Drona complex is 10 minutes walking from the railway Station. You can book an auto rickshaw. From ISBT it is around 5 Km. You can book an auto rickshaw to Hotel Drona (GMVN) or take a shared auto (Route No. 5) from ISBT (Inter State Bus Terminus). This is a reliable and a decent choice for Standard accommodation. The have restaurant and room service.
Check the following for online booking of the above: http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn/tour/booktrh.asp
You can call or visit GMVN nearest office or even send an email for more information.The information is available at:
Return from Dehradun:
Normally you reach Dehradun from any trek base by 6/7 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 9 pm or regular bus service as mentioned above to reach Delhi or directly to your homeward journey in the same night.
Drive from Dehradun to Raithal (2200m/7200ft) via Uttarkashi- 190 Km - 8 hours
Drive from Dehradun railways station to our trek base Raithal village. Our route follows Bhagirathi River to Uttarkashi town. You can also get morning state transport bus to Uttarkashi. From here Raithal is another 45 Km via Bhatwari town. All the major mobile networks have connectivity here. Night stay in Tourist Rest House/Lodge.
Trek to Goi (2850 m/9350 ft) - 4 Km - 4 hours
We start hiking post breakfast.The ascend starts right after Raithal and continues through dense alpine forest. The trail is well paved till Odari, where the local villagers go to collect leaves & firewood. It doesn’t take more than an hour to reach this place from Raithal. The forest starts to get denser after Odari . Raithal keeps peeping occasionally through the immense green of the surrounding.
After three hours of gradual ascend we reach Goi. A few shepherd huts are built in this small opening inside forest by the side of the small lake which the locals call Goital.
Trek to Dayara Jungle camp (3340 m/10955 ft- 4 Km - 3 hours - Explore meadows in the afternoon
The forest starts to change after we cross Goi. Major number of Pine and Oak begins to appear. More we proceed towards Dayara steeper the trail gets. It takes around two to three hours to climb this short but steep ascend to Dayara Jungle camp.
The meadow starts from here and as if the forest comes to a halt all of a sudden here. A line of wounded shepherd huts mark the place. Look beyond and the meadow vanishes crawling up and down into unknown uncertainty. Beyond the reaches of the meadow mighty peaks like Draupadi ka Danda I, II, Bandarpoonch, Srikanth, Jaonli stands tall at a distance.
You have got the whole day for yourself to reach out the corners and explore around this vast magical meadow. Get back before it gets dark. have an early dinner and sneak inside your sleeping bags as soon as possible.
Your body needs rest. We have considerable long day tomorrow.
Explore Dayara Bugyal - summit to Bakriya top (~ 3660 m/12005 ft), descent to Barnala (2900 m/9510 ft) - 12 Km - 7/8 hours
Today’s trek takes us right through the heart of Dayara Bugyal to reach the highest point of the meadow region, Bakriya Top.
From Dayara jungle camp it takes maximum half an hour of easy ascent to cross the tree line. Keeping the tree line behind we keep ascending for another two hours or so to reach Bakriya Top. The ascent is neither continuous nor very steep. But in the month of winter it gets a bit tricky due to the presence of snow on the trail.
A full three sixty degree of mesmerizing view awaits you once you reach the top. Bandarpunch (6350 m), Jaonli (6600 mtrs), Srikanth( 6133 m), Draupadi ka Danda (6420 m) Gangotri I(6672 m),II (6590 m), Rudragaira (5500 m) creates a gigantic arc behind you. The trail through Agora ang Vebara villages to Dodital disappears far beneath into the treacherous curves of Shivaliks and reappears again near the Darwa pass. On the other side another famous trek destination Kush kalyan can be easily spotted.
Satisfied in mind, camera and soul, we start descending tracing back the same route to Dayara Jungle campsite.
We have a filling lunch here. Though we don’t rest for long. Before our body gets cold we buckle up and take a descent of another hour or two to reach out today’s campsite Barnala.
Trek to Barsu (2250 m/7380 ft) - 5 Km - 3 hours - Drive back to Dehradun 190 Km - 8/9 hours
Today we head back towards civilisation. It takes two to three hours of easy descending to reach Barsu.
From Barsu we drive back to Dehradun via Bhatwari and Uttarkashi.
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
TREK FEE: Rs 8950 (Raithal to Barsu) + 5% GST
Book for 5 persons or more and get flat 10% Group Discount on TREK FEE
1 night accommodation at Raithal (Day 1) in lodge on sharing basis and dinner.
All meals during the trek. Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including occasional eggs), breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
Excellent Trekking Guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
Stay in tents (3 persons dome or ridge shaped tents) on sharing basis during the trek.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon. (Bring your own sleeping if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
Kitchen tent, dinning tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Travel insurance cum Accidental Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age). It covers your trek as well as your return journey to Dehradun for duration of 7 days.
Transportation from Dehradun to Raithal and return from Barsu. ₹ 5000 for a Tata Sumo and ₹ 9000 for a Tempo Traveller. We can arrange, you pay directly to the driver sharing equally with the fellow trekkers.
We assume that you will carry your personal Rucksack/Backpack with all your personal belongings. If you want to offload your Rucksack and be carried by our Pack Animal/Porter then you need to pay additional ₹ 1200 for the entire duration of the trek. The Rucksack should not weigh more than 10 Kg.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT supports staff.
Anything is is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” (https://himalayatrekker.com/terms-and-conditions) before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit/AMEX cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full TREK/TOUR FEE.
- “Booking Amount” i.e.25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you avery flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to informminimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from 14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to [email protected]