- 1 Week trek
- Fall Treks
- Moderate Treks
- Sikkim & Darjeeling
- Spring Treks
- Summer Treks
- Winter Treks
Singalila Pass & Phalut Trek
About: This trail starting from Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary, goes through the last few remaining undisturbed patches of pristine forests in Eastern Himalaya. Due to the proximity of Sikkim and Nepal High Himalayas, the views of High Himalayan ranges are captivating. Crossing the Singalila Pass, the trail joins the famous Singalila Ridge trek at Phalut. Both the places offer majestic views of gigantic massif of Kanchendzongha range in a famous “Sleeping Buddha” formation. On a clear day, these spurs produce magical views of 4 out of the 5 highest peaks in the world, Mt. Everest, Kanchendzongha, Lhotse and Makalu. On later stage the trail gives the opportunity to see interior picturesque villages of Eastern Himalayas. A majority of the trail is full in biodiversity with abundance of Flora & Fauna, specially the Avi-fauna and several species of wildflowers. During spring , the blooming of Rhododendrons and Magnolia brushes the forest with pink, red and white. Both for amateur and experienced photographers the route is bountiful of wild life, flowers, panorama and certainly the Himalayan ranges and peaks. In the later half we enter inside West Bengal while reaching Phalut and the area is inside Singalila National Park. The view from Phalut is equally breath taking. While descending, we stay at Gorkhey, a picturesque village positioned at the confluence of two streams. Samandin and Rammam are notable villages while reaching our trek end point Srikhola.
DAY 1: Drive from NJP/Bagdogra to Hilley – 150 Km – 8 hours
DAY 2: Trek from Hilley to Barsey– 4.5 Km – 2/3 hours
DAY 3: Trek to Joributey via Deolinga Dhap – 12 Km – 6/7 hours
DAY 4: Trek to Kharka Dara/Kalijhar via Thulo Dhap – 12 Km – 6/7 hours
DAY 5: Trek to Phoktey Dara and Singalila Pass and descent to Toriphuley – 10 km – 4/5 hours
DAY 6: Trek to Gorkhey via Phalut – 22 Km – 7/8 hours
DAY 7: Trek to Srikhola – 15 Km – 5/6 hours
DAY 8: Drive from Srikhola to NJP – 160 Km – 6/7 hours.
Season: Being in the Nepal/Sikkim border this area observes longer monsoon. Clouds start to hover from April and prolong till October beginning. There are two distinct seasons when this year trek is particularly beautiful:
1) Spring/Summer for Rhododendron season: From mid of March to Mid of May. Flowering starts from early March in the lower elevation, and gradually towards end of spring on higher altitude. Rhododendron and Giant Magnolia are two most famous along with several other wild flower species. Cloudy or misty atmosphere is common during Spring. Though clear mountains views are not uncommon, specially during morning.
2) Fall/Winter for clear weather: From October to January. In the beginning of October clouds start moving out from this region and weather becomes clearer. November is particularly known for its crystal clear views of the mountains.
Length: 6 days of trek; Walking from Hilley and Barsey to Singalila Pass and then move out via Phalut and Gorkhey to Rimbick, around 50 Km. New Jalpaiguri (NJP)/Siliguri to NJP in 8 days
Access: New Jalpaiguri (NJP) is well connected by train from New Delhi and Kolkata. There are several overnight trains from Kolkata to NJP. Nearest airport is Bagdogra which is 10 Km from Siliguri. Flights are connected to New Delhi and Kolkata. The trek base Hilley is 150 Km from NJP railway station. Rimbick the trek end point is around 150 Km from NJP.
Highest Point: Singalila Pass ~ 3700m/12150 ft.
Seasons: March to May and October to December
1) From Singalila Pass descent to Chewabhanjung and then to Uttarey or
2) Return to Achaley and then move out to Uttarey. For details click here.
Access to Hilley (The trek base) & Return: Depending upon the trek members we can arrange a pickup and drop either from New Jalpaiguri/Sliguri to Hilley and back from Rimbick to NJP. This will be shared by the team members on actual basis.
Otherwise if a trekker wants to reach Hilley by public vehicle then here is how:
1) Reach NJP in the morning and take a shared auto to Siliguri Junction/SNT(Sikkim Nationalised Transport/Tenzing Norgay Bus Terminus. From there board a shared vehicle to Jorthang in South Sikkim. This is the entry point for South & West Sikkim. If you reach there by Noon then probably you will get your seat in one of the few jeeps plying Between Jorthang and Ribdi. From Ribdi you have to book a vehicle for Hilley which is 10 Km apart.
2) While returning from Rimbick you can book a seat in the shared vehicle for Darjeeling which run early in the morning. This will take around 4 hours. From Darjeeling you can get vehicles for Siliguri/NJP till 3 pm.
For the treks in Sikkim and Darjeeling , one has to reach the city of Siliguri (considered the corridor to the North-East) in West Bengal.
You can fly or by train reach Siliguri from Kolkata ( good for the trekkers coming from South/central or Western India) or Delhi as per your convenience from any part within India.
Direct flights are available from New Delhi and Kolkata. All the flights to Bagdogra reaches late in the morning or early afternoon. It becomes difficult to reach the trek base like Yuksom/Hilley/Uttarey on the same day unless a car is booked (takes around 8 hours to reach). One can stay the night in Siliguri and start the travel to the trek base next morning. It is better to reach Siliguri by flight/train to Kolkata and then take an overnight train to NJP unless you are coming from northern India.
There are several overnight trains running between Kolkata (Howrah or Sealdah) to NJP. Day trains are also available.
From airport (Dumdum, CCU) , Sealdah railway station is 15 Km and may take 1 to 2 hours depending upon the time you travel. Howrah is 17 Km and may take up to 2 hours during the heavy traffic in the rush hours. Howrah and Sealdah are only 5 Km apart, though it may take an hour to travel. Pre Paid taxi booths are available.
DARJEELING MAIL – Train No. – 12343 (Very good option to reach NJP in the morning. Starts around 10 pm in the night and reaches NJP 8 am in the morning.)
PADATIK EXPRESS – Train No. – 12377 (Very good option to reach NJP in the morning. Starts around 10 pm in the night and reaches NJP 9 am in the morning.)
KANCHANKANYA EXPRESS – Train No. – 13149 (Starts at 8:30 pm in the evening and reaches NJP 7:30 am in the morning)
SHATABDI EXPRESS – Train No. – 12041 (Day train, starts 2:15 pm in the afternoon and reaches NP at 10:20 pm in the night. There are hotels/lodges outside the railway station at a walking distance of 5 minutes. Otherwise book an auto rickshaw/taxi to Siliguri, which takes around 15 minutes. There are several hotels around Siliguri Junction/Tenzing Norgay Bus Terminus/S.N.T (Sikkim Nationalised Transport stand).
There are other trains also of which some run daily and some on particular days of week.
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berths and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
From Kolkata(CCU) take a flight to Bagdogra (IXB). From airport book a taxi to reach Siliguri which is 10 Km away.
Following trains are good to reach NJP and run daily.
DIBRUGARH RAJDHANI – Train No. 12424 (arrives NJP late in the morning @ 10:45 am)
NORTH EAST EXP – Train No. 12506 (arrives NJP @ 8:20 am in the morning)
BRAHMAPUTRA MAIL – Train No. 12424 (arrives NJP at 5 am in the morning. But this train runs late frequently.
Always avoid booking waitlisted (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
From Delhi (DEL) take a flight to Bagdogra (IXB). From airport book a taxi to reach Siliguri which is 10 Km away.
For night stay in NJP/SIliguri:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Siliguri/NJP. There are several options in Siliguri for spending a night while staying in Standard or Budget accommodation. It is better to reach to the centre of SIliguri called Siliguri Junction (adjacent to Tenzing Norgay Bus Terminus and Sikkim nationalised Transport/S.N.T stand). It takes 30 minutes from Bagdogra or 15 minutes from NJP. There are hotels 5 minutes walking from NJP also.
Normally you reach NJP/Bagdogra from any trek base by 5/6 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 7 pm to Kolkata safely, which reach early in the morning. Accordingly arrange your homeward journey from Kolkata onwards.
8.30 AM – 9.30 AM: Transportation
9.30 AM – 11.00 AM: Training
11.00 AM – 2.00 PM: Surfing
2 PM – 2.30 PM: Meals
2.30 PM – 4.30 PM: Surfing
4.30 PM – 5.30 PM: Surfing
5.30 PM – 6.30 PM: Return
5.30 PM – 6.30 PM: Return
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
photos are taken and shared by Rupam Chatterji, Shatadru Roy Chowdhury, Meenakshi Sarkar, Rajarashi Sarkar and Saptarashi Roy during various HT treks.
CLICK HERE For List of Things to Carry in Singalila Pass & Phalut Trek OR DOWNLOAD PDF BROCHURE.
CLICK HERE For Registration and Cancellation OR DOWNLOAD PDF BROCHURE.
- We assume that you have read and understood the “Terms & Conditions” before any payment.
- To book for a Fixed Departure or Customised Trek you need to pay 25% of the Trek Cost as the initial “Booking Amount”. You can pay by Online Transfer/Draft. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek. You need to pay the remaining amount at a later stage.
- “Booking Amount” i.e. 25% of the Trek Cost is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If you cancel a trek before 15 days, we will refund 75% of the Trek Cost.
- If you cancel a trek before 14 days to 7 days, we will refund 50% of the Trek Cost.
- If you cancel a trek before 6 to 1 days there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.