- 1 Week trek
- Fall Treks
- Moderate Grade Treks in Himalayas
- Sikkim & Darjeeling
- Sikkim Treks
- Spring Treks
- Summer Treks
- Winter Treks
Singalila Pass Phalut Trek
Group departure on 31st October 2021 from NJP/Bagdogra.
Sikkim COVID Travel guidelines (Updated on 10th Aug 2021):
- All tourists must be fully vaccinated (two doses) while entering Sikkim. You need to produce your vaccinated certificate at any of the Sikkim Entry point/Check post.
- All tourist entering Sikkim needs to apply for a mandatory Travel Card in the following portal:
- Usual COVID protocols, SOPs, social distancing are to be followed. Carrying masks and sanitisers are a must.
Singalila Pass Phalut trek via Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary, is probably the best low altitude trail in Sikkim and Darjeeling which has dramatic high mountain views in extended length.
This trail goes through the last remaining patches of pristine forests in Eastern Himalaya. Due to the proximity of Sikkim and Nepal High Himalayas, the views of High Himalayan ranges are captivating. Crossing the Singalila Pass, the trail joins the famous Singalila Ridge trek at Phalut. Both the places offer majestic views of gigantic massif of Kanchendzongha range in a famous “Sleeping Buddha” formation. On a clear day, these spurs produce magical views of 4 out of the 5 highest peaks in the world, Mt. Everest, Kanchendzongha, Lhotse and Makalu. On later stage the trail gives the opportunity to see interior picturesque villages of Eastern Himalayas.
A majority of the trail is full in biodiversity with abundance of Flora & Fauna, specially the Avi-fauna and several species of wildflowers. During spring , the blooming of Rhododendrons and Magnolia brushes the forest with pink, red and white. Both for amateur and experienced photographers the route is bountiful of wild life, flowers, panorama and certainly the Himalayan ranges and peaks. In the later half we enter inside West Bengal while reaching Phalut and the area is inside Singalila National Park. The view from Phalut is equally breath taking. While descending, we stay at Gorkhey, a picturesque village positioned at the confluence of two streams.
Note: If you are looking for a shorter hike with families and kids then you can check our Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary trek. This is indeed a fantastic opportunity to enjoy the ecstatic forest around Barsey.
Brief Itinerary for Singalila Pass Phalut trek via Barsey:
DAY 1: Drive from NJP/Bagdogra to Hilley – 150 Km – 8 hours. Lodge.
DAY 2: Trek from Hilley to Barsey– 4.5 Km – 2/3 hours. Camp/Trekkers Hut.
DAY 3: Trek to Joributey via Deolinga Dhap – 12 Km – 6/7 hours. Camp
DAY 4: Trek to Kharka Dara/Kalijhar via Thulo Dhap – 12 Km – 6/7 hours. Camp
DAY 5: Trek to Phoktey Dara and Singalila Pass and descent to Toriphuley – 10 km – 4/5 hours. Camp
DAY 6: Trek to Gorkhey via Phalut – 22 Km –8/9 hours. Camp/Lodge.
DAY 7: Trek to Bhareng – 5 Km – 3 hours – Drive to NJP via Ribdi and Okhrey – 150 Km – 7/8 hours
*** You need to reach NJP/Bagdogra latest by 10 am on Day 1. Similarly you will return to NJP/Bagdogra by 6 pm on Day 7. Arrange of tickets accordingly ***
TREK FEE: ₹ 14800 (Hilley to Bhareng) + 5% GST
The above TREK FEE is applicable for Fixed Departure treks as we schedule time to time. Also we can customise this trek, if you are looking for a private trek or if the our date(s) is not matching with you. Expect similar TREK FEE if you are 8 to 10 persons together forming a group. For 4/5 persons trekking logistics and overhead is too heavy that it is not sustainable.
TREK FEE includes everything which you will require once you reach at Hilley and till you end the trek at Bhareng. Tented accommodation during trek, all meals, trekking guide, porters to carry the logistics and equipment, all permits and camping charges. This also includes Accidental insurance policy (Indian nationals only) for 7 days covering NJP to NJP/Bagdogra. Check COST INCLUSIONS tab for specific details.
Seasons for Singalila Pass Phalut trek:
Being in the Nepal/Sikkim border this area observes longer monsoon. Clouds start to hover from April and prolong till October beginning. There are two distinct seasons when this year trek is particularly beautiful:
1) Spring/Summer for Rhododendron season: From mid of March to Mid of May. Flowering starts from early March in the lower elevation, and gradually towards end of spring on higher altitude. Rhododendron and Giant Magnolia are two most famous along with several other wild flower species. Cloudy or misty atmosphere is common during Spring. Though clear mountains views are not uncommon, specially during morning.
2) Fall/Winter for clear weather: From October to January. In the beginning of October clouds start moving out from this region and weather becomes clear and crisp. November is particularly known for its crystal clear views of the mountains.
Click here to view the List of Things to carry in Singalila Pass Phalut trek
Duration: 5 days of trek; NJP/Bagdogra to NJP return in 7 days.
Prerequisite: Prior trekking experience is recommended. There are long walks on couple of days.
Trail Length: 65 Km
Highest Point: Singalila Pass ~ 3700 m/12150 ft
Seasons: March to May (Spring/Summer) and October to January (Fall/Winter)
Access: Trek starting point is Hilley and end point is Gorkhey/Bhareng
Rail station: New Jalpaiguri (STN Code: NJP)
Airport: Bagdogra (Code: IXB)
Upcoming scheduled dates for Singalila Pass Phalut trek:
- You can check the scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 7 days itinerary).
- At present BOOK NOW functionality is disabled. You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach NJP on Day 1 morning or the previous night. Return to NJP on Day 7 evening by 6 pm. Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return accordingly.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||New Jalpaiguri railway station|
|REPORTING TIME||8:00 AM for a prompt departure to Hilley (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 6:00 PM (Day 7)|
How to reach Hilley (The trek base):
Nearest Rail station: New Jalpaiguri (Station Code: NJP)
Nearest Airport: Bagdogra (Airport Code: IXB)
We will arrange a pickup from NJP/Bagdogra/Siliguri to trek starting point Hilley and drop from trek end point Bhareng to NJP/Bagdogra. A Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx Jeep (accommodates 5/6 persons) charges ₹ 5500 for pick up from NJP to Hilley or a drop from Bhareng to NJP/Bagdogra, one way. One such car can accommodate up to 8 people. This is NOT included in the TREK FEE and to be payable directly to the driver/owner.
If you wish to reach our Trek Base Hilley on your own by public transportation:
- Reach NJP in the morning and take a shared auto to Siliguri Junction/SNT(Sikkim Nationalised Transport/Tenzing Norgay Bus Terminus. From there board a shared vehicle to Jorethang in South Sikkim. This is the entry point for South & West Sikkim. If you reach here by noon, probably you will get your seat in one of the few service jeeps plying Between Jorethang and Okhrey. From Okhrey you have to book a vehicle for Hilley which is 10 Km apart.
- While returning from Bhareng there is no service jeep available. You need to book a car till Jorethang. From Jorethang you will get shared vehicle for Siliguri till 3 pm.
How to reach NJP:
For the treks in Sikkim and Darjeeling , one has to reach the city of Siliguri (considered the corridor to the North-East) in West Bengal.
The nearest Railway Station is New Jalpaiguri (NJP), 5 Km from Siliguri and the airport Bagdogra is 10 Km.
You can fly or by train reach Siliguri from Kolkata ( good for the trekkers coming from South/central or Western India) or Delhi as per your convenience from any part within India.
Direct flights are available from New Delhi and Kolkata. All the flights to Bagdogra reaches late in the morning or early afternoon. It becomes difficult to reach the trek base like Yuksom/Hilley/Uttarey on the same day unless a car is booked (takes around 8 hours to reach). One can stay the night in Siliguri and start the travel to the trek base next morning. It is better to reach Siliguri by flight/train to Kolkata and then take an overnight train to NJP unless you are coming from northern India.
From Kolkata to Siliguri:
1) By train:
There are several overnight trains running between Kolkata (Howrah or Sealdah) to NJP. Day trains are also available.
From airport (Dumdum, CCU) , Sealdah railway station is 15 Km and may take 1 to 2 hours depending upon the time you travel. Howrah is 17 Km and may take up to 2 hours during the heavy traffic in the rush hours. Howrah and Sealdah are only 5 Km apart, though it may take an hour to travel. Pre Paid taxi booths are available.
DARJEELING MAIL – Train No. – 12343 (Good option to reach NJP in the morning. Starts around 10 pm in the night and reaches NJP 8 am in the morning.)
PADATIK EXPRESS – Train No. – 12377 (Good option to reach NJP in the morning. Starts around 11 pm in the night and reaches NJP 9 am in the morning.)
KANCHANKANYA EXPRESS – Train No. – 13149 (Starts at 8:30 pm in the evening and reaches NJP 7:30 am in the morning)
SHATABDI EXPRESS – Train No. – 12041 (Day train, starts 2:15 pm in the afternoon and reaches NP at 10:20 pm in the night. There are hotels/lodges outside the railway station at a walking distance of 5 minutes. Otherwise book an auto rickshaw/taxi to Siliguri, which takes around 15 minutes. There are several hotels around Siliguri Junction/Tenzing Norgay Bus Terminus/S.N.T (Sikkim Nationalised Transport stand).
There are other trains also of which some run daily and some on particular days of week.
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berths and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
2) By flight:
From Kolkata(CCU) take a flight to Bagdogra (IXB). From airport book a taxi to reach Siliguri which is 10 Km away.
From Delhi to Siliguri:
1) By Train:
Following trains are good to reach NJP and run daily.
DIBRUGARH RAJDHANI – Train No. 12424 (arrives NJP late in the morning @ 10:45 am)
NORTH EAST EXP – Train No. 12506 (arrives NJP @ 8:20 am in the morning)
BRAHMAPUTRA MAIL – Train No. 12424 (arrives NJP at 5 am in the morning. But this train runs late frequently.
Always avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
2) By flight:
From Delhi (DEL) take a flight to Bagdogra (IXB). From airport book a taxi to reach Siliguri which is 10 Km away.
For night stay in NJP/SIliguri:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Siliguri/NJP. There are several options in Siliguri for spending a night while staying in Standard or Budget accommodation. It is better to reach to the centre of SIliguri called Siliguri Junction (adjacent to Tenzing Norgay Bus Terminus and Sikkim nationalised Transport/S.N.T stand). It takes 30 minutes from Bagdogra or 15 minutes from NJP. There are hotels 5 minutes walking from NJP also.
Return from NJP/Bagdogra:
Normally you reach NJP/Bagdogra from any trek base by 5/6 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 7 pm to Kolkata safely, which reach early in the morning. Accordingly arrange your homeward journey from Kolkata onward.
TREK FEE: ₹ 14800 (Hilley to Bhreng) + 5% GST
2 night’s accommodation at Hilley (Day 1) in a lodge on sharing basis and dinner.
All meals during the trek (Day 1 dinner to Day 7 breakfast). Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including occasional eggs), breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
Excellent Mountain Guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
Stay in tents (3 persons dome or ridge shaped tents) on sharing basis during the trek.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon. (Bring your own sleeping if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
Kitchen tent, dinning tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek inside Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Accidental Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age). It covers your trek as well as your return journey to NJP/Bagdogra.
Transportation from NJP/Bagdogra to Hilley and return from Bhareng to NJP/Bagdogra.
We assume that you will carry your personal Rucksack/Backpack with all your personal belongings. If you want to offload your Rucksack and be carried by Porter then you need to pay additional ₹ 3000 for the entire duration of the trek. The Rucksack should not weigh more than 10 Kg.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT supports staff.
Anything is is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” (https://himalayatrekker.com/terms-and-conditions) before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit/AMEX cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full TREK/TOUR FEE.
- “Booking Amount” i.e.25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you avery flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to informminimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to [email protected]