Pangarchulla peak trek with Kuari Pass:
Pangarchulla trek route offers you one of the most captivating high mountain views of Indian Himalayas along with a satisfaction of climbing to a summit at 15000 ft. Pangarchulla peak stands tall in the vicinity and present unmatched Panorama of central Garhwal peaks at a stretch of 180°. You can spot Nanda Devi clearly to your north east to all major peaks of Badrinath valley and finally stretching to Kedarnath valley peaks on west. Nanda Devi, Dronagiri, Changabang, Rishi, Mukut, Kamet, Abi Gamin, Mana, Hathi, Ghoda, Neelkanth and Chaukhamba massif to name a few!
Starting from October weather becomes clear and you can view mesmerising vista throughout the trek.
Exquisite campsites add more charm and delight. You will camp inside deep conifer forest, on the fringe of the jungle and on alpine meadows, locally called Bugyal.
This is not all! Once the tree line ends, landscape switch into fur flung meadows. From Khullara to Kuari pass, you will walk on these grassy slopes. Towards the end of the trek, you will cross Gurson Bugyal, a prominent meadows of the Himalayas.
- Our itinerary is a day longer (7D/6N) than usual ones to include both Pangarchulla peak climb and visiting the actual Kuari pass.
- From Oct 2018, due to an order from Uttarakhand High Court, one is NOT allowed to camp on alpine meadows/grasslands, locally called “Bugyal”. In this trek our high camp will be either at Lower Khullara or Tali Jungle camp. We will visit Kuari Pass and attempt Pangarchulla from the same camp in two successive days. Itinerary duration will remain same, 7 days, Haridwar to Haridwar including 5 days of trek.
Altitude and distance profile graph for Pangarchulla peak trek:
Check the below pictorial representation for Pangarchulla trek route tog get an idea of the climb.
Clothing and expected temperature in Pangarchulla trek:
It is important to carry proper clothing in winter as the campsite temperatures are sub zero in winter.
Fall & Winter: From October to December the daytime temp remains cool and nights are cold. Late night/early morning temperatures at Khullara and Gailgad will be around 2°C to -5°C/-10° C as winter progresses. Though inside tent the temperature will be somewhat 10°C warmer than outside but still can be freezing.
Three layers of clothing is mandatory in the campsite while outside tent.
a) A thermal base layer (warm woolly-cot material).
b) A heavy jacket (Double layer or Fleece jacket ) as middle layer.
c) A windproof cum waterproof with hood as the outer layer.
Spring & Summer : Day time weather remains warm and pleasant. Night/early morning temperatures at camp sites can be from 10°C (lower camps) to 2°C (higher camps)
You will not require the thermal base layer from May to October.
Access to Pangarchulla peak trek base (Joshimath):
We will arrange a pickup from Haridwar railway station to Joshimath and drop from Joshimath to Haridwar. This will be shared by the team members on actual basis and paid directly to the driver. The fare is Rs 6000 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. This can accommodate 6 to 8 people. A Tempo Traveller charges Rs 9000 (12-14 seat) one way. This is NOT included in TREK FEE.
To reach the trek base Joshimath independently/public transportation check the details in GETTING THERE TAB.
Download the list of things to carry in Pangarchulla peak trek or click here
Duration: 5 days of trek; Haridwar to Haridwar in 7 days.
Prerequisite: Prior trekking experience is desired with good physical fitness.
Highest Point: Pangarchulla peak ~ 4550 m/14925 ft.
Trail Length: 40 Km
Seasons: April to June (Spring/Summer), September to December (Fall/Winter)
Access: Trek starting point (trek base) is Joshimath, 275 Km from Haridwar.
Rail station: Haridwar (STN Code: HW)
Airport: Delhi, Dehradun (Airport Code: DED)
Upcoming scheduled dates for Pangarchulla plus Kuari Pass trek:
- You can check the scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 7 days itinerary).
- At present BOOK NOW functionality is disabled. You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach Haridwar on Day 1 morning (latest by 6 am). Return to Haridwar on Day 7 late evening (8-9 pm). Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return accordingly.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Haridwar railway station|
|REPORTING TIME||6:00 AM for a prompt departure to Joshimath (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 8:00/9:00 PM (Day 7)|
How to reach Joshimath (The trek base):
Nearest Rail station: Haridwar (Station Code: HW)
Nearest Airport: Delhi, Dehradun (Airport Code: DED)
Haridwar is well connected by train from Delhi . Frequent regular and Volvo bus service from Delhi Kashmiri Gate ISBT. To reach the trek base Joshimath you need to reach Haridwar on your own arrangements.
We will arrange a pick up and drop from Haridwar to Joshimath and back. This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is Rs 6000 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. These can accommodate 6 to 8 people. Similarly a Tempo Traveller charges Rs 9000 one way, which can accommodate 12 people. This is NOT included in the TREK FEE and payable directly to the driver.
If you want to reach and return from Joshimath by public vehicle then:
- Take early morning bus service from Haridwar to directly Badrinath or till Joshimath. Direct buses leave by 5 am. The state operated Bus terminus referred as Roadways/ISBT) is just opposite to the railway station. Privately operated buses start just 2 minutes walking from here. In the summer during Char Dham Yatra, buses are packed. It takes 11/12 hours to reach Joshimath. Look for a shared Jeep service or book a car till Govindghat which is another 20 Km towards Badrinath. It may take up to 14 hours.
- From Joshimath early in the morning board the direct bus for Haridwar/Rishikesh. It will take 11/12 hours. From Rishikesh, it is only 25 Km journey to Haridwar by frequent bus service.
How to reach Haridwar:
For the treks in Garhwal, one has to reach Haridwar normally. Rishikesh is another 25 Km from here and is considered a gateway to Garhwal Himalayas. You can fly or by train reach New Delhi as per your convenience from any part within India.
There are direct trains from Kolkata to Haridwar.
KUMBHA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12369 ( Very good option to reach Haridwar by 5 pm; Spend the night in Haridwar and start your onward journey by car next morning)
UPASANA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12327 ( Very good option to reach Haridwar by 5 pm; Spend the night in Haridwar and start your onward journey by car next morning)
DOON EXPRESS – Train No. – 13009 (Don’t book this train when you plan a long onward journey immediately nn the same morning)]
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
You can easily reach Haridwar from New Delhi by train or bus (~ 5/6 hours) and is around 210 Km.
Following trains are good to reach Haridwar and run daily.
DDN JANSHTBDI – Train No. 12055 (Arrives HW in the evening @ 7:30 pm, good choice when you stay the night in Haridwar and have a long drive ahead next day)
NANDA DEVI EXP – Train No. 12205 (arrives HW early morning @ 4am)
UTKAL EXPRESS – Train No. 18477 (arrives HW in the night @ 9pm)
MUSSOORIE EXP – Train No. 14041 (arrives HW in the morning @ 5:45am)
Always avoid booking waitlisted (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Govt. Road Transport (Roadways of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana, Punjab etc.) buses are frequently available in day time and night from Kashmiri Gate ISBT (http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/doit_transport/Transport/Home/ISBT/Fare+Chart). Tickets are available on board for these regular type buses. From Delhi Airport or Station you can reach ISBT Kashmiri Gate via Delhi Metro service (http://www.delhimetrorail.com/metro-fares.aspx). It is only 4 Km from NDLS and can be reached easily by booking an auto rickshaw.
For privately operated bus, you can book online from different portals (http://www.redbus.in). Select a boarding point suitably. Overnight Volvo/A.C/Push back bus service.
Nearest Airport Jolly Grant near Dehradun (Airport code: DED) is 35 Km away from Haridwar. This airport is accessed from Dehradun, Haridwar and Rishikesh easily. The flights are mostly via Delhi.
Regarding night accommodations in Haridwar:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Haridwar. There are several options in Haridwar for spending a night while staying in Premium, Standard or Budget accommodation. Options vary from Privately operated Hotels/Lodges, to State run Tourist rest House and Dharamshala.
State run GMVN (Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam) operates Hotel Rahi just beside the Bus Stand and opposite to the Haridwar Railway Station. This is a reliable and a decent choice for Standard accommodation.Check the following for online booking of the above: http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn/tour/booktrh.asp
You can call or visit GMVN nearest office or even send an email for more information.The information is available at: http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn/online_reservation/#
Return from Haridwar:
Normally you reach Haridwar from any trek base by 7/8 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 9 pm or regular bus service as mentioned above to reach Delhi or directly to your homeward journey in the same night.
Drive from Haridwar to Joshimath – 10/11 hours – 275 Km
Drive to Dhak (7000 ft) – 45 minutes. Trek to upper Guling (9,650) ft; 5-6 hours
Upper Guling<i> (</i>9,650) ft to Khullara (11,100 ft); 4-5 hours
Khullara (11,100 ft) to Kuari Pass (12,630 ft) and back to Gailgad/Pangarchulla base (12,300 ft). 4/5 hours
Gailgad (12,300 ft) to Pangarchulla peak (14,925 ft) and back to Gailgad/Tali (11000 ft) – 7/8 hours
Tali to Auli ( 8600 ft) via Gurson Bugyal - 4/5 hours
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
TREK FEE: Rs 11500 (Joshimath to Joshimath) + 5% GST
Book for 3-5 persons and get a discount of 5% and for 5 or more persons get flat 10% discount on TREK FEE
2 night’s accommodation at Joshimath (Day 1 & Day 6) in lodge on twin sharing basis. Meals at Joshimath are on your own.
Car drop from Joshimath to trek starting point Dhak (Day 1) and pick up from trek end point Auli to Joshimath back.
All meals during the trek (From Day 2 lunch to Day 6 lunch). Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including occasional eggs), breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
Excellent Trekking Guide(s), who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
Stay in tents (2 persons dome or ridge shaped tents) on twin sharing basis during the trek.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon. (Bring your own sleeping if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
Kitchen tent, dinning tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Accidental Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age). It covers your trek as well as your return journey to Haridwar.
Transportation from Haridwar to Joshimath and back to (₹ 1500- ₹ 2000 per persons both ways for the pick up and drop when shared with fellow trekkers)
Any meals at Joshimath. There are good amount of choice for vegetarian food in the restaurant of main street.
We assume that you will carry your personal Rucksack/Backpack with all your personal belongings. If you want to offload your Rucksack and be carried by our Pack Animal/Porter then you need to pay additional ₹ 1500 for the entire duration of the trek. The Rucksack should not weigh more than 10 Kg.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT supports staff.
Anything which is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” (https://himalayatrekker.com/terms-and-conditions) before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit/AMEX cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full TREK/TOUR FEE.
- “Booking Amount” i.e.25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you avery flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to informminimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to [email protected]