- 1 Week trek
- Fall Treks
- Garhwal Treks
- Moderate Grade Treks in Himalayas
- Spring Treks
- Summer Treks
- Winter Treks
Pangarchulla peak trek with Kuari Pass:
- Upcoming group fixed departure to Pangarchulla peak on 9th April & 22nd May from Haridwar/Rishikesh.
- Private/customised treks for your own group/family is open as per your preferred date. TREK FEE will be same for a group of 6 to 8 persons i.e. ₹ 11500 + 5% GST per person (Joshimath to Joshimath) and will be proportianately lower for 9 persons or more in a private/customised tour.
Pangarchulla trek route offers you one of the most captivating high mountain views of Indian Himalayas along with a satisfaction of climbing to a summit at ~ 15000 ft. The peak stands tall in the vicinity and present unmatched Panorama of central Garhwal peaks at a stretch of 180°. You can spot Nanda Devi clearly to your north east to all major peaks of Badrinath valley and finally stretching to Kedarnath valley peaks on west. Nanda Devi, Dronagiri, Changabang, Rishi, Mukut, Kamet, Abi Gamin, Mana, Hathi, Ghoda, Neelkanth and Chaukhamba massif to name a few!
Starting from October weather becomes clear and you can view mesmerising vista throughout the trek.
Exquisite campsites add more charm and delight. You will camp inside deep conifer forest, on the fringe of the jungle and alpine meadows, locally called Bugyal. Note that at present we can’t camp on alpine meadows.
This is not all! Once the tree line ends, landscape switch into fur flung meadows. From Khullara to Kuari pass, you will walk on these grassy slopes. Towards the end of the trek, you will cross Gurson Bugyal, a prominent meadows of the Himalayas.
Day 1: Drive from Haridwar to Joshimath – 11/12 hours – 280 Km. Lodge.
Day 2: Drive to Karchi village (7500 ft) via Dhak – 15 Km, 45 minutes. Then trek to Khullara (11,1000 ft) – 11 Km, 6/7 hours. Camp
Day 3: Visit Kuari Pass (12630 ft) and return to Khullara – 8 Km- 6/7 hours. Camp.
Day 4: Khullara (11,100 ft) to Pangarchulla summit (14,925 ft), 6 hours and back to Khullara – total 12 Km – 12/14 hours. A strenuous and challenging summit day. Camp
Day 5: Khullara (11,100 ft) to Auli (8600 ft) via Gurson Bugyal, 5/6 hours – 10 Km – drive to Joshimath 45 mins/14 Km. Lodge.
Day 6: Drive from Joshimath to Haridwar – 280 Km – 11/12 hours.
- Our 6 days itinerary includes both Pangarchulla peak climb and visiting the actual Kuari pass. However it depends the performance of the team, in addition to snow and weather conditions.
- From Oct 2018, due to an order from Uttarakhand High Court, one is NOT allowed to camp on alpine meadows/grasslands, locally called “Bugyal”. In this trek our high camp will be either at Gulling and Lower Khullara. We will visit Kuari Pass and attempt Pangarchulla in two successive days.
- Trekkers need to reach Haridwar on Day 1 morning by 6 am latest or the night before. Similarly book your return tickets from Haridwar on Day 6 evening, 8 pm evening or later.
- Altitude and distances may not be exact but helpful for approximation.
Altitude and distance profile graph for Pangarchulla peak trek:
Check the below pictorial representation for Pangarchulla trek route tog get an idea of the climb.
Note: After the camping restrictions imposed from 2018 post monsoon, we can camp up to Khulara area. From here Pangarchulla summit is quite a climb. A reasonably fit person should take anything between 12 to 16 hours for a summit push and return in favourable conditions.
Is Pangarchulla trek possible in winter?
As they say nothing is impossible, but indeed unlikely. This is primarily because of the fresh snow. Being north face of Kuari Pass, this region normally receives early snowfall, as early as beginning of November. From the highest campsite lower Khullara to Pangarchulla is a good climb of 5/6 hours without or some scattered residual snow.
From December usually snow fall will be more frequent and deposited snow will make it strenuous. Furthermore, Pangarchulla peak summit is at ~4550 m/14925 ft, which is high altitude even in Himalayan standard. In winters expect knee deep or even more of fresh snow towards the summit. This will is certainly very taxing. You need to prepare for a 12 hours long and strenuous day with respect to both physically and clothing perspective. And all these doesn’t account additional snowfall while you are pushing for the summit.
Owing to the above, we DON’T recommend attempt to Pangarchulla summit during winters and early spring. You shouldn’t consider this trek from December to March.
Best time and season to attempt Pangarchulla peak:
Spring summer: Mid April to June end. Earlier in the season, more will be the residual snow from winter. As the season will progress, snow will melt. Mid May to mid of June is normally better and conducive for the summit.
Autumn/Fall: September to mid of November. Monsoon will end by August but better to wait 2 weeks in case of residual monsoon. Mid September to end of October is your best bet to reach Pangarchulla summit in this season. From mid November onward chances to reach the summit decreases significantly.
Clothing and expected temperature in Pangarchulla trek:
It is important to carry proper clothing in a high altitude trail like this. Campsite temperatures can be freezing in early spring or late autumn.
Three layers of clothing is mandatory in the campsite while outside tent.
a) A thermal base layer (warm woolly-cot material).
b) A warm jacket (Fleece/Synthetic/Down jacket ) as middle layer.
c) A windproof cum waterproof with hood as the outer layer.
You may not require the thermal base layer from May to October.
Don’t forget to check and download the “list of things that you need to carry during Pangarchulla peak trek“.
Spring/summer temperature: Day time weather remains warm and pleasant. Night/early morning temperatures will be cool or cold on varying altitude.
Joshimath: 15°C (April) to 25°C (June)
Guling: 10°C to 15°C .
Lower Khullara: 0°C to 5° C.
Autumn/Fall temperature: From October daytime temp remains cool and nights are cold. Late night/early morning temperatures can easily be freezing or even lower. Though inside tent the temperature will be somewhat 8°C 10°C warmer than outside.
Joshimath: 20°C (Sep) to 10°C (Nov)
Guling: 10°C to 0°C .
Lower Khullara: 5°C to -5° C.
Access to Pangarchulla peak trek base (Joshimath):
We will arrange a pickup from Haridwar railway station to Joshimath and drop from Joshimath to Haridwar. This will be shared by the team members on actual basis and paid directly to the driver. The fare is ₹ 6000 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. This can accommodate 6 to 8 people. A Tempo Traveller charges ₹ 9000 (12-14 seat) one way. This is NOT included in TREK FEE.
To reach the trek base Joshimath independently/public transportation check the details in GETTING THERE tab.
Here is a road map with major points enroute from Haridwar to Joshimath.
Why treks with HT?
|Expertise:||10 years on ground experience|
|Support staff:||Qualified local & office staff|
|Group size:||Small groups up to 15|
|Insurance:||Travel insured trek and tour itinerary|
|Easy Bookings:||25% Booking Deposit|
Duration: 4 days of trek; Haridwar to Haridwar in 6 days.
Prerequisite: Prior trekking experience is a must with good physical fitness.
Highest Point: Pangarchulla peak ~ 4550 m/14925 ft.
Trail Length: 40 Km
Seasons: April to June (Spring/Summer), September to December (Fall/Winter)
Access: Trek starting point (trek base) is Joshimath, 275 Km from Haridwar.
Rail station: Haridwar (STN Code: HW)
Airport: Delhi, Dehradun (Airport Code: DED)
Upcoming scheduled dates for Pangarchulla plus Kuari Pass trek:
- You can check the scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 6 days itinerary).
- At present BOOK NOW functionality is disabled. You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach Haridwar on Day 1 morning (latest by 6 am). Return to Haridwar on Day 7 late evening (8-9 pm). Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return accordingly.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Haridwar railway station|
|REPORTING TIME||6:00 AM for a prompt departure to Joshimath (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 8:00/9:00 PM (Day 6)|
How to reach Joshimath (The trek base):
Nearest Rail station: Haridwar (Station Code: HW)
Nearest Airport: Delhi, Dehradun (Airport Code: DED)
Haridwar is well connected by train from Delhi . Frequent regular and Volvo bus service from Delhi Kashmiri Gate ISBT. To reach the trek base Joshimath you need to reach Haridwar on your own arrangements.
We will arrange a pick up and drop from Haridwar to Joshimath and back. This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is ₹ 6000 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. These can accommodate 6 to 8 people. Similarly a Tempo Traveller charges ₹ 9000 one way, which can accommodate 12 people. This is NOT included in the TREK FEE and payable directly to the driver.
If you want to reach and return from Joshimath by public vehicle then:
- Take early morning bus service from Haridwar to directly Badrinath or till Joshimath. Direct buses leave by 5 am. The state operated Bus terminus referred as Roadways/ISBT) is just opposite to the railway station. Privately operated buses start just 2 minutes walking from here. In the summer during Char Dham Yatra, buses are packed. It takes at least 12 hours to reach Joshimath.
- From Joshimath early in the morning board the direct bus for Haridwar/Rishikesh. It will take 11/12 hours. From Rishikesh, it is only 25 Km journey to Haridwar by frequent bus service.
How to reach Haridwar:
For the treks in Garhwal, one has to reach Haridwar normally. Rishikesh is another 25 Km from here and is considered a gateway to Garhwal Himalayas. You can fly or by train reach New Delhi as per your convenience from any part within India.
There are direct trains from Kolkata to Haridwar.
KUMBHA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12369 ( Very good option to reach Haridwar by 5 pm; Spend the night in Haridwar and start your onward journey by car next morning)
UPASANA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12327 ( Very good option to reach Haridwar by 5 pm; Spend the night in Haridwar and start your onward journey by car next morning)
DOON EXPRESS – Train No. – 13009 (Don’t book this train when you plan a long onward journey immediately nn the same morning)]
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
You can easily reach Haridwar from New Delhi by train or bus (~ 5/6 hours) and is around 210 Km.
Following trains are good to reach Haridwar and run daily.
DDN JANSHTBDI – Train No. 12055 (Arrives HW in the evening @ 7:30 pm, good choice when you stay the night in Haridwar and have a long drive ahead next day)
NANDA DEVI EXP – Train No. 12205 (arrives HW early morning @ 4am)
UTKAL EXPRESS – Train No. 18477 (arrives HW in the night @ 9pm)
MUSSOORIE EXP – Train No. 14041 (arrives HW in the morning @ 5:45am)
Always avoid booking waitlisted (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Govt. Road Transport (Roadways of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana, Punjab etc.) buses are frequently available in day time and night from Kashmiri Gate ISBT (http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/doit_transport/Transport/Home/ISBT/Fare+Chart). Tickets are available on board for these regular type buses. From Delhi Airport or Station you can reach ISBT Kashmiri Gate via Delhi Metro service (http://www.delhimetrorail.com/metro-fares.aspx). It is only 4 Km from NDLS and can be reached easily by booking an auto rickshaw.
For privately operated bus, you can book online from different portals (http://www.redbus.in). Select a boarding point suitably. Overnight Volvo/A.C/Push back bus service.
Nearest Airport Jolly Grant near Dehradun (Airport code: DED) is 35 Km away from Haridwar. This airport is accessed from Dehradun, Haridwar and Rishikesh easily. The flights are mostly via Delhi.
Regarding night accommodations in Haridwar:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Haridwar. There are several options in Haridwar for spending a night while staying in Premium, Standard or Budget accommodation. Options vary from Privately operated Hotels/Lodges, to State run Tourist rest House and Dharamshala.
State run GMVN (Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam) operates Hotel Rahi just beside the Bus Stand and opposite to the Haridwar Railway Station. This is a reliable and a decent choice for Standard accommodation.Check the following for online booking of the above: http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn/tour/booktrh.asp
You can call or visit GMVN nearest office or even send an email for more information.The information is available at: http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn/online_reservation/#
Return from Haridwar:
Normally you reach Haridwar from any trek base by 7/8 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 9 pm or regular bus service as mentioned above to reach Delhi or directly to your homeward journey in the same night.
Drive from Haridwar to Joshimath – 10/11 hours – 275 Km
Drive to Dhak– 10 Km, 30 minutes. Trek to Guling - 6 Km, 4/5 hours
Guling to Kuari Pass, 5 hours – return to lower Khullara camp – total 12 Km- 6/7 hours
Lower Khullara to Pangarchulla summit (14,925 ft), 6 hours and back to lower Khullara – total 12 Km – 10/11 hours
Lower Khullara to Auli via Gurson Bugyal – 10 Km – 5/6 hours - drive to Joshimath, 45 mins /14 Km
Drive from Joshimath to Haridwar – 280 Km - 11/12 hours
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
TREK FEE: ₹ 11500 (Joshimath to Joshimath) + 5% GST
Book for 5 persons and get a discount and avail flat 10% discount on TREK FEE.
2 night’s accommodation at Joshimath (Day 1 & Day 5) in lodge on triple/quad sharing basis.
Car drop from Joshimath to trek starting point Dhak (Day 1) and pick up from trek end point Auli to Joshimath back.
All meals during the trek (From Day 1 dinner to Day 5 dinner). Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including occasional eggs), breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
Excellent Trekking Guide(s), who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
Stay in tents (3 persons dome or ridge shaped tents) on triple sharing basis during the trek.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon. (Bring your own sleeping if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
Kitchen tent, dinning tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Accidental Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age). It covers your trek as well as your return journey to Haridwar.
Transportation from Haridwar to Joshimath and back to (₹ 2000 to 2500 per persons both ways for the pick up and drop when shared with fellow trekkers)
We assume that you will carry your personal Rucksack/Backpack with all your personal belongings. If you want to offload your Rucksack and be carried by our Pack Animal/Porter then you need to pay additional ₹ 1200 for the entire duration of the trek. The Rucksack should not weigh more than 10 Kg.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT supports staff.
Anything which is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” (https://himalayatrekker.com/terms-and-conditions) before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit/AMEX cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full TREK/TOUR FEE.
- “Booking Amount” i.e.25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you avery flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to informminimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to [email protected]