Sahastra Tal Trek:
About: Famous Scot theologist and Himalayan travelogue writer Bill Aitken described this area as “Lake district of Garhwal. This wide spread valley is situated between Bhagirathi valley in the west and Bhilangana valley in the east. From Kush Kalyan plateau a high ridge continues towards north and several high altitude small and medium lakes are found on both side of the ridge. Sahastra Tal ( also referred as Shastru Tal) is situated at the head of this ridge. According to legend a king performed a ritual on the shores of this lake by offering a thousand (Sahastra) Brahma-Kamal flowers to Lord Vishnu. This less frequented trail offers grazing pastures, lush green alpine meadows (Bugiyals), High Himalayan ranges and peaks including Banderpunch, Kalanag, Jaonli, Draupadi Ka Danda etc while a major highlight is the high altitude lakes. During monsoon the route blooms with thousands of Brahma Kamal and Fen Kamal.
Duration: 7 days of trekking; Haridwar to Haridwar in 9 days.
Highest Point: Sahastra Tal ~ 5000m/16400 ft
Grade: Moderate (heavy snow in summer)
Length: 80 Km
Seasons: June & September/October
Further Option: Exploration of Khatling glacier and Bhilangana River valley (Difficult)
Access to Bhatwari (The trek base): We will arrange a pickup and drop from Haridwar to Bhatwari and back from Ghansali to Haridwar. This will be shared by the team members on actual basis. A Ta ta Sumo/Mahindra Maxx takes Rs 5000 for Bhatwari pick up and Rs 3000 from Ghansali to Haridwar drop.
Otherwise if a trekker wants to reach Bhatwari by public vehicle then there are two options:
1) Reach Haridwar in the previous night and board the bus for Uttarkashi as early as you can in the morning. There are both State and Private operated bus for Uttarkashi. It will take around 8/9 hours to reach there. From here reserve a car for Bhatwari, which is another 30 Km on the Gangotri highway. If you reach Uttarkashi by noon , you may be able to get the bus which operates between Uttarkashi and Gangotri.
2) From Ghansali there are buses for Rishikesh/Haridwar.
There are direct trains from Kolkata to Haridwar.
KUMBHA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12369 ( Very good option to reach Haridwar by 5 pm; Spend the night in Haridwar and start your onward journey by car next morning)
UPASANA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12327 ( Very good option to reach Haridwar by 5 pm; Spend the night in Haridwar and start your onward journey by car next morning)
DOON EXPRESS – Train No. – 13009 (Don’t book this train when you plan a long onward journey immediately in the morning)]
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Following trains are good to reach Haridwar and run daily.
DDN JANSHTBDI – Train No. 12055 (Arrives HW in the evening @ 7:30 pm, good choice when you stay the night in Haridwar and have a long drive ahead next day)
NANDA DEVI EXP – Train No. 12205 (arrives HW early morning @ 4am)
UTKAL EXPRESS – Train No. 18477 (arrives HW in the night @ 9pm)
MUSSOORIE EXP – Train No. 14041 (arrives HW in the morning @ 5:45am)
Always avoid booking waitlisted (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Govt. Road Transport (Roadways of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana, Punjab etc.) buses are frequently available in day time and night from Kashmiri Gate ISBT (http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/doit_transport/Transport/Home/ISBT/Fare+Chart). Tickets are available on board for these regular type buses. From Delhi Airport or Station you can reach ISBT Kashmiri Gate via Delhi Metro service (http://www.delhimetrorail.com/metro-fares.aspx). It is only 4 Km from NDLS and can be reached easily by booking an auto rickshaw.
For privately operated bus, you can book online from different portals (http://www.redbus.in). Select a boarding point suitably. Overnight Volvo/A.C/Push back bus service.
For night stay in Haridwar:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Haridwar. There are several options in Haridwar for spending a night while staying in Premium, Standard or Budget accommodation. Options vary from Privately operated Hotels/Lodges, to State run Tourist rest House and Dharamshalas.
State run GMVN (Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam) operates Hotel Rahi just beside the Bus Stand and opposite to the Haridwar Railway Station. This is a reliable and a decent choice for Standard accommodation.
Check the following for online booking of the above: http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn/tour/booktrh.asp
You can call or visit GMVN nearest office or even send an email for more information.The information is available at:
Normally you reach Haridwar from any trek base by 7/8 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 9 pm or regular bus service as mentioned above to reach Delhi or directly to your homeward journey in the same night.
8.30 AM – 9.30 AM: Transportation
- Maecenas massa. Fermentum. Pretium vitae tempus sem enim enim.
- Tempus, leo, taciti augue aliquam hendrerit.
- Accumsan pharetra eros justo augue posuere felis elit cras montes fames. Vulputate dictumst egestas etiam dictum varius.
9.30 AM – 11.00 AM: Training
11.00 AM – 2.00 PM: Surfing
2 PM – 2.30 PM: Meals
2.30 PM – 4.30 PM: Surfing
4.30 PM – 5.30 PM: Surfing
5.30 PM – 6.30 PM: Return
TREK COST: 13500 (INR) per person (Bhatwari to Ghansali) + 4.5% Service Tax
Book for 3-4 persons and get a discount of 5% and for 5 or more persons get flat 10% Group Discount
2 nights stay at Bhatwari (Day1) and Ghansali (Day 8) in lodge/tourist rest house on sharing basis and dinner.
The Trek Fee
All meals during the trek. Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including eggs), breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
Excellent Mountain Guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staffs, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek
Any permit fee, camping charges, Forest levy required for the trek.
Stay at rest house/forest hut/tent as required in the trek on sharing basis.
Sleeping Mattress and Sleeping Bag (Bring your own sleeping bag for hygienic reason, if you have a high altitude specific Sleeping Bag).
Car drop from Pinswar to Ghansali.
Transportation from Haridwar to Bhatwari and from Ghansali to Haridwar back
We assume that you will carry your Rucksack/Backpack including all your personal belongings. If you prefer to offload your bag and carried by the porter we will arrange one for you. You have to pay directly to the porter on actual basis.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT supports staffs.
Any kind of insurance during the trek or transit.
Anything is is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
To Customise this trek Click here
- We assume that you have read and understood the “Terms & Conditions” before any payment.
- To book for a Fixed Departure or Customised Trek you need to pay 25% of the Trek Cost as the initial “Booking Amount”. You can pay by Online Transfer/Draft. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek. You need to pay the remaining amount at a later stage.
- “Booking Amount” i.e. 25% of the Trek Cost is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If you cancel a trek before 15 days, we will refund 75% of the Trek Cost.
- If you cancel a trek before 14 days to 7 days, we will refund 50% of the Trek Cost.
- If you cancel a trek before 6 to 1 days there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.