- 2-4 Days short trek
- Easy Grade Treks in Himalayas
- Easy Snow Treks
- Fall Treks
- Jammu Kashmir
- Kashmir Valley Treks
- Monsoon Treks
- Spring Treks
- Winter Treks
Marchoi Valley trek:
Marchoi valley is a rare trek in Kashmir which is also possible during winters. Kashmir doesn’t need an introduction for its unparalleled beauty, wide valleys, lush green meadows, abundance of wild flowers and gushing streams in summers, autumn foliages or be its snow covered landscapes and forests during winters. It has at least something unique and beautiful in each season.
Essentially the trail is a river valley and we approach it from Naranag, a village which is around 2 hours drive from Srinagar. Naranag has archaeological importance and is an old Hindu pilgrimage site with ruins of Temple complex. Lalitaditya Muktapida built these temples during the rule of Karkota Dynasty.
The trail from Naranag is initially gentle along the river so that you can reach Dumail comfortably in 2 hours or so. We cover wonderful stretches of pine and maple forests to reach silver fir and birch tree covered Dumail grazing area.
This trail is meant such that we can camp at Dumail for 3 nights and explore two sides from this camp. One being the Marchoi valley and the other one is the Shadimarg area.
COVID Update and guidelines:
1) As per the latest update, it is MANDATORY for all passengers/travellers arriving at Srinagar to undergo a COVID test (Rapid Antigen Test). You will need a negative report to undergo the planned tour without any isolation etc as per COVID protocols.
2) General COVID social distancing and hygiene are to be followed in the lodge/homestay/hotel, especially in the common areas. Carrying masks and sanitisers are a must.
3) With travel opening up, govt. advisories and state/UT guidelines are constantly evolving. Please check the latest updates before travelling
Day 1: Start from Srinagar/airport latest by 10 am and drive to Naranag (~ 2440 m/8000 ft) – 60/70 Km – 3 hours. – Trek from Naranag village to Dumail – 4 Km – 2/3 hours. Camp.
Day 2: Trek from Dumail to Marchoi Valley via Shingdi and back to Dumail (6 hrs) – ~ 5 Km – Camp.
Day 3: Trek to Shadimarg top and back to Dumail camp – 6/7 hours – ~ 5 Km. Camp.
Day 4: Trek from Dumail to Naranag -2 hours – 4 Km – Visit the ancient ruins/complex and then drive back to Srinagar – 60 Km – 2 hours.
- You need to reach the latest by 10 am on Day 1 in Srinagar. After the trek you will return to Srinagar on Day 4 by 4 pm. Arrange your tickets, and stay in Srinagar accordingly.
- We will arrange transportation from Srinagar to basecamp Naranag and return. The fare is ₹ 3500 one way for a Tata Sumo/similar and can accommodate up to 6 persons. You pay the driver directly, sharing equally with the other team members.
- You may stay at Naranag Village homestay either on Day 1 or Day 4. Cost is ₹ 2000 per person including food on a twin/triple sharing basis.
- Please note that prepaid sim cards (issued outside) do not work in Kashmir.
Why Marchoi trek as a snow trek in winter or spring?
It is not easy to find a winter trek in Kashmir as the region gets the most snowfall out of the Indian Himalayan region. However Marchoi valley is possible to reach during winters and explore the surroundings depending on the snow conditions.
It is true that the trail in Kashmir blooms and streams rush throughout summers and make this valley green and vibrant. But hardly we have seen Kashmir winters apart from a very few popular destinations/ski resorts. Other popular Kashmir treks are on high altitude and remain inaccessible between the months of October to June. Marchoi valley trek during winters and spring is a rare opportunity to snowy wonderland and often resembling snowy Alps mountains.
Additionally winter snow trails with abundant snow are often crowded or noisy, especially during peak holiday season. This may be a spoiler to many. Marchoi valley trail is pristine and very fresh so that you will hardly find any other groups.
Is Marchoi valley trek suitable for beginners?
This trail is an easy snow fun trail for all hikers who are planning a winter hiking trip.
Marchoi valley trek seasons and best time to visit:
This low altitude trail is ideally a year around trek. Either you may like to walk on snow or when the valleys are green and verdant.
Winters and Spring: December to May for snow trek
Summer trek: June to September
temperature and clothing for Marchoi valley trek:
It is important to carry proper clothing in this trek. We recommend to use “three layers” of clothing in the campsite during early morning or evening, while you are outside tent.
- A quick dry base layer (Dry-fit t-shirt).
- A warm jacket (Double layer or Fleece jacket ) as middle layer.
- A windproof cum waterproof with hood as the outer layer.
- Additionally you would require a rucksack and a decent trekking shoe.
Marchoi valley TREK FEE:
₹ 10,950 per person + 5% GST, Naranag to Naranag.
TREK FEE is applicable for a group of 5 to 6 persons. If the number increases, TREK FEE decreases and vice versa.
The above cost will include everything you might need for the trek – once you reach basecamp Naranag and till you finish the trek at Naranag (accommodations, all meals, trek guide, support staff, camping equipment, permit fees etc.). Your tour will be travel and medically insured for a duration of 7 days. This doesn’t include transportation to reach the trek base and return. . Do check the COST INCLUSIONS tab for detailed inclusions and exclusions.
How to reach trek basecamp (Naranag):
Our trek basecamp Naranag is an offbeat tourist destination in the Ganderbal district of Kashmir. It takes between 2 to 3 hours to reach Naranag from Srinagar/Airport covering some 60 to 70 Km distance. Trek’s end point is also Naranag. Here is the road map to reach basecamp and the surroundings to give a broad idea of your destination.
We will arrange a car pick up from the airport/city centre (Lal Chowk) to basecamp Naranag and return. A Sumo/Tavera type vehicle charges ₹ 3500 one way. It can accommodate up to 6 persons and you pay directly to the driver sharing equally. This is NOT included in the TREK FEE.
Most convenient way to reach Srinagar is via flight. Sheikh Ul-Alam International Airport in Srinagar (Code: SXR) is around 10 Km away from the city centre.
Photos: Altaf, Rahul, Riyaz and friends of Kashmir.
Why treks with HT?
|Expertise:||10 years on ground experience|
|Support staff:||Qualified local & office staff|
|Group size:||Small groups up to 15|
|Insurance:||Travel insured trek and tour itinerary|
|Easy Bookings:||25% Booking Deposit|
Duration: 4 days of trek; Srinagar to Srinagar in 4 days.
Prerequisite: Prior trekking experience is nice to have. Suitable for beginners.
Highest Point: Tarsar ~ 3800 m/12465 ft, Marsar ~ 3960 m/13000 ft, Sundersar ~ 3950 m/12950 ft.
Length: 20 Km
Seasons: December to April/May (Winter and Spring) for Snow trek. June to September for Summer trek.
Further Option: From Naranag drive to Sumbhol and trek to Tarsar and Marsar
Access: Trek starting point is Aru near Pahalgam, 110 Km from Srinagar
Rail station: Jammu Tawi (STN Code: JAT)
Airport:Srinagar (Code: SXR)
Upcoming scheduled dates for Marchoi Valley trek:
- You can check whether we have scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 4 days itinerary).
- At present BOOK NOW functionality is disabled. You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach Srinagar on Day 1 by 10 am. Return to Srinagar on Day 4 evening by 8 pm. Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return accordingly.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Srinagar Tourist Reception Centre (TRC)/Lal CHowk/Airport|
|REPORTING TIME||10:00 am for a prompt departure to Naranag (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 4:00 PM (Day 4)|
Getting to Naranag (The trek base):
We will arrange a car pickup from Srinagar to Naranag and return. This will be shared equally by the availing team members.
The best option to reach Srinagar is by flight. There are direct flights from Delhi and other major cities.
By train one has to reach Jammu and then a drive to Srinagar, which takes around 12 hours covering approximately 300 Km.
TREK FEE: ₹ 10,950 (Naranag to Naranag) + 5% GST
All meals during the trek (vegetarian with occasional serving of eggs) including breakfast, hot/packed lunch, and dinner with morning and evening tea.
All accommodations on twin sharing tents as per the itinerary.
Professional Guide, Cook & Helper.
Porters/Packed animals to carry the central logistics.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Dining tent, Toilet tent, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon.
Permit fee, camping charges, forest levy as required in the trek.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Travel insurance cum Medical Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age). It covers your trek as well as your itinerary for a duration of 10 days.
Transportation from Srinagar airport to trek base Naranag and return. ₹ 3500 one way for a Tata Sumo and can accommodate up to 6 persons.
Cost of Mandatory reserve day, i.e. Day 8. If we use this during trekking, you need to pay additional ₹ 2500 per person. This will be collected at Aru.
We assume that you will carry your Rucksack/Backpack including all your personal belongings. If you prefer to offload your bag and carried by our horse/porter then an additional Rucksack offloading charge of ₹ 800 is to be paid directly on spot for the entire duration of the trek. One such rucksack should weigh within 10 kg. The horse will drop your luggage from Naranag to Dumail camp and again while returning.
Any tip/gratuity to the supports staff.
Anything is is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the Trek/Tour Fee as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full Trek/Tour Fee.
- “Booking Amount” i.e. 25% of the Trek/Tour Fee is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you a very flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to inform minimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from 14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to [email protected]