- Fall Treks
- Himachal Pradesh
- Kinnaur Treks
- Moderate Grade Treks in Himalayas
- Summer Treks
- Up to 2 weeks trek
Buran Ghati Trek:
Upcoming Buran Ghati trek starting on 22nd May 2021 morning from Shimla as per itinerary (8 days, Shimla to Shimla).
Buran Ghati trek is a very pretty and scenic trail connecting Pabbar river valley to Baspa valley. Location Wise the trail lies in the south-eastern flank of Himachal Pradesh, within upper reaches of Shimla and Kinnaur district. Not only the beauty of the valley and the expanse of breathtaking Dayara meadows but the trail also gives an opportunity to visit the glacial Chandranahan lake. Crossing the Buran pass (also referred to as Barua Pass) needs some maneuvering, a steep descent on ice and snow at 15000 ft. Ancient forests, apple orchards, old world villages of Janglik and Barua only add more to this delightful trail.
Day 0: Arrive Chandigarh and reach Shimla 110 Km, 4/5 hours. Hotel/Lodge. Accommodation on your own.
Day 1: Drive to Janglik ((9,200 ft) – 150 Km – 8 to 10 hours. Homestay/lodge.
Day 2: Trek from Janglik to Dayara Thatch (11,000 ft)- 4/5 hours. Camp.
Day 3: Trek from Dayara Thatch to Litham (11,800 ft) – 3/4 hours. Camp.
Day 4: Litham to Chandranahan Lake (13,900 ft) & back to Litham, 5/6 hours ( 3+3 Km?). Camp.
Day 5: Trek from Litham to Dhunda (13,300 ft) – 4/5 hours. Camp.
Day 6: Trek from Dhunda to Munirang (River camp/11,800 ft) via Buran Ghati Pass (15,000 ft) – 9/10 hours. Camp.
Day 7: Trek from River Camp to Barua village (6,600 ft) – 4/5 hours (5 Km?) – reach by 1 pm. Trek ends here. Now take a car from Barua to Shimla via Karcham and Rampur – 185 Km – 7/8 hours. You should reach Shimla late in the evening, around 10/11 pm. Pre book your accommodation.
Day 8: Mandatory Buffer day for trek. In case if you don’t use it during the trek, you can spend the day in or around Shimla.
Day 9: Drive from Shimla to Chandigarh – 110 Km – 4/5 hours or any other place as suitable.
- You need to reach Shimla on Day 0, i.e. a day prior to the Tour Starting Date as published/listed on the website. Stay @ Shimla that night.
- Shimla to Shimla in 8 days, including a buffer day. Usually Chandigarh to Chandigarh duration will be 10 days. Delhi is another 250 Km from Chandigarh, 5/6 hours by busses.
- Transportation costs from Shimla to trek base Janglik and return from trek end point Barua to Shimla are NOT INCLUDED in the TREK FEE. Either you can reach independently or we can arrange a cab which is usually shared by other trek members. You pay directly to the driver/transporter, sharing equally.
Buran Ghati trek – Altitude and Distance profile graph:
Below is a graphical representation of the altitude and distance of major points on Buran Ghati trek trail.
When it is best to visit Buran Ghati?
As all high altitude treks in the Himalayas (apart from few trans Himalayan treks), Buran Ghati trek also can be done best in two seasons. One being in summer before monsoon and the later being post monsoon in autumn/fall.
Summer (May/June): Starting from mid May to end of June. Because of the residual snow of winter expect moderate to heavy snow above 4000 m/13000 ft during this time. Due to the snow, steep descent from the pass to Barua side may require basic use of rope and ice axe to anchor. Its fun to rappel on this gradient.
Post monsoon/Autumn (Sep/Oct): Traditionally this is the best window for any high altitude pass on the Himalayas. After monsoon the weather becomes clear and haze free. September is typically greener and you will get the meadows (called Thatch in local language) at their best. From October the grass will turn into golden and it will become colder. Also there will be chance of fresh snowfall on high altitude above 14000 ft during October.
Access to Buran Ghati trek base (Janglik):
Based upon your request we will arrange a pick up and drop from Shimla to Janglik. This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. A Tata Sumo/similar vehicle charges ₹ 7500 one way. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. This can accommodate 5/6 people. Aprroximately ₹ 3000 per person, Shimla to Janglik and return, when shared with the other trekkers. This is NOT included in the TREK FEE.
Return from Barua (trek end point) to Shimla/Chandigarh/Delhi:
Buran Ghati trek ends at Barua vilalge near to Karcham in Kinnaur. You should reach here on Day 7 around 1 pm. (or Day 8, if the buffer day is utlised). Usally we arrange a car which takes 9/10 hours to reach Shimla, i.e. you reach late, around 10/11 pm.
In case we don’t use the reserve day during the trek, you have an additional day in Shimla. Its nice to relax a day around this hill city after your trek.
From Shimla you may take a bus to Chandigarh, which usually takes around 4 to 5 hours. From Chandigarh you can catch a direct flight back or via Delhi (another 5/6 hours journey on road, 250 Km).
If you have more holidays, it may be a nice idea to explore Sangla, Chitkul etc on Baspa River or to nearby Kalpa.
Click here to view the List of Things to carry in Buran Ghati trek
Why treks with HT?
|Expertise:||10 years on ground experience|
|Support staff:||Qualified local & office staff|
|Group size:||Small groups up to 15|
|Insurance:||Travel insured trek and tour itinerary|
|Easy Bookings:||25% Booking Deposit|
Duration: 6 days of trekking from Janglik to Barua. 8 days from Shimla to Shimla. Add at least two days to reach and exit via Chandigarh or more from Delhi.
Prerequisite: One or two prior Himalayan trekking experience is advised. Heavy to moderate snow in pre monsoon. Trekkers must be in good physical condition.
Trail Length: ~ 35 Km
Highest Point: Buran Ghati Pass/Barua Pass ~ 4475 m/15000 ft.
Seasons: May/June (summer/pre monsoon) & September/October (Post Monsoon/Fall)
Further Option: There are other trekking passes like Rupin Pass or Nalgan Ghati in the same region.
Access: Trek starting point (trek base) is Janglik, 150 Km from Shimla.
Rail station: Chandigarh (Station Code: CDG), Kalka (Code: KLK)
Airport: Chandigarh; Nearest airport at Shimla, although irregular flights get cancelled frequently. Delhi is 250 Km from Chandigarh and connected by frequent busses and train services.
Upcoming scheduled dates for Rupin Pass trek:
- You can check the scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 8 days itinerary, Shimla to Shimla including a buffer day).
- At present BOOK NOW functionality is disabled. You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach Shimla on Day 0, a day prior to Tour Starting Date. Return to Shimla on Day 7 or Day 8 (in case we use the buffer day), late in the evening around 10/11 pm. Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return from Shimla accordingly.
|REPORTING TIME||7:00 AM for a prompt departure to Janglik (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||10-11 pm on Day 7 or Day 8 (in case of buffer day).|
How to reach Janglik (The trek base):
You need to reach Shimla on your own. From Shimla we will arrange a pick up to Janglik, if needed.
Nearest Rail station: Chandigarh (Station Code: CDG) or Kalka (Code: KLK)
Nearest Airport: Chandigarh (Airport Code: IXC) which is 250 from Delhi (5/6 hours by bus/train). There is an airport near to Shimla (Code: SLV) but irregular flights with frequent cancellations.
Based upon your request we will arrange a pick up and drop from Shimla to Janglik and return from Barua to Shimla.. This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is approximately ₹ 7500 one way for a Tata Sumo/similar vehicle. This can accommodate 5 to 6 people.
It comes around ₹ 3000 per person Shimla to base camp and retuwn, when shared with other trekkers.
Drive to Dhaula: 200 Km - 10/12 hours
Pickup in the morning from Dehradun and reach Dhaula (~ 1550m, 5100 ft) . Distance around 200 Km and can take up to 12 hours with lunch break in between. The road is one of the most scenic in Garhwal region while we go up to the classy hill station of Mussorie at the beginning, turquoise Yamuna river in the middle and conifer forests and meandering Tons river at the later half of the journey. The major points are Mussorie, Yamuna Pool, Damta, Nawgaon, Purola, Mori and Netwar. Mori is the last place where you get a guaranteed mobile network! From Netwar onward we are inside Govind National Park area and at the Forest Check Post entries are made. We cross the Tons River and enter into Rupin valley. Dhaula is a small village with handful of homes and few home-stays for shelter. We camp for the night beside Rupin.
Trek to Sewa: 10 Km - 5/6 hours
Trek to Jhaka: 12 Km - 6/7 hours
Trek to Suruwas Thatch: 7 Km - 4/5 hours
Trek to Dhanderas Thatch (Lower Waterfall): 6 Km - 4 hours
Trek to Ratapheri: 5 Km - 4/5 hours
Trek to Sangla Kanda over Rupin Pass: 12 Km - 8/9 hours
Trek to Sangla: 4 Km - 2 hours
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
CLICK HERE For List of Things to Carry in Rupin Pass Trek OR DOWNLOAD PDF BROCHURE.
TREK FEE: ₹ 15,500 (Janglik to Barua) + 5% GST
Book for 5 persons or more and get 10% Group Discount on TREK FEE.
1 night’s accommodation at Janglik (Day 1) in homestay/lodge on sharing basis and dinner.
All meals during the trek (starting from Dinner at Janglik and ending at packed lunch at Barua. Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including occasional serving of eggs), breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
Excellent Trekking Guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
Stay in tents on double sharing basis during the trek. We will provide separate tents for male and female in our fixed group departures.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon. (Bring your own sleeping if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
Kitchen tent, dinning tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Travel and medical insurance covering illness on high altitude (AMS). This is included for Indian nationals up to 60 years.
Transportation from Shimla to Janglik and return from Barua to Shimla. Uslally it comes approcimately ₹ 3000 per person, to and from when shared in a vehicle like Tata Sumo with other trekkers. We may arrange the car, you pay directly to the driver, sharing equally.
We assume that you will carry your personal Rucksack/Backpack with all your personal belongings. If you want to offload your Rucksack and be carried by our horse/porter then you need to pay additional ₹ 2000 for the entire duration of the trek. The Rucksack should not weigh more than 10 Kg.
Cost of the buffer day. If we utilise this during the trek, you need to pay ₹ 2500 per person for the same.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT supports staff.
Anything is is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” (https://himalayatrekker.com/terms-and-conditions) before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit/AMEX cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full TREK/TOUR FEE.
- “Booking Amount” i.e.25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you a very flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to informminimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from 14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to [email protected]