- 1 Week trek
- Easy Treks
- Fall Treks
- Family friendly
- Spring Treks
- Summer Treks
- Winter Treks
Har Ki Dun Trek:
About: Har Ki Dun trek is a classy river valley trail and never lost its charm to trekkers all over the world. Walking through the wide spread valley, remote villages, local life style, culture and hospitality are not to miss. The sunrise and sunset at Har Ki Dun needs special mention. Ample amount of snow makes it a compelling choice. Walking towards Marinda Tal/Jaundar glacier on the exploration day ignites the adrenaline in adventurous mind. Har Ki Dun valley, situated at the western flank of Garhwal in the Uttarkashi district is very popular to the trekkers as well as that to the climbers. It is a lovely walk to the Har Ki Dun valley with fascinating views of Jaundar (Jamdar) Glacier and surrounding Swargarohini group of peaks. Har Ki Dun catchment area is a major source of Yamuna River System and a main source of the largest tributary of Yamuna, the Tons river. ( Har Ki Dun and Ruinsara Nallah forms the beautiful Tamosa river near Osla. Tamosa flowing beside Taluka and below Sankri merges with Supin river near Jakhol. Rupin and Supin combined together at Netwar forms the Tons river). This glacier carved spectacular valley is an amphitheater ringed up by high spurs of rocky Himalayan range. Summer and monsoon bring life to this National park area and remains snow covered in winter. Accessible for a longer duration of the year and Tea-Houses at Taluka, Seema and Har Ki Dun are compelling factors for many beginners to explore this route. The views of Banderpunch and Swargarohini group, Black peak (Kalanag) are captivating. This trail helps to familiarise with interior villages of Himalaya, its people and culture. Fresh snow in winter is another attraction.
Day 1: Dehradun to Sankri – 200 Km by car – 10 hours
Day 2: Sankri to Taluka – 11 Km by car – 1 hour – Taluka to Seema – 14 Km – 6/7 hours
Day 3: Seema to Har Ki Dun – 11 Km – 5/6 hours
Day 4: Exploration around Har Ki Dun – 8/10 Km – 4/5 hour
Day 5: Har Ki Dun to Osla/Seema – 11 Km – 5 hours
Day 6: Osla to Taluka – 14 Km – 6/7 hours – Taluka to Sankri – 11 Km by car – 1 hour
Day 7: Sankri to Dehradun – 200 Km by car – 9/10 hours
Temperature & Clothing : A trekker needs to be careful while selecting the proper clothing in winter as the campsite temperatures are sub zero in winter.
Summer & Fall: Day time weather remains warm. Night temp at Har Ki Dun can be around 10°C to 2°C.
Winter: In Dec the daytime temp remains cool and nights are cold. Night temp at Sankri, Seema and Har Ki Dun can be around 2°, -2° and -5°/-10° deg C.
Three layers of clothing is mandatory in the campsite while outside tent or FRH/TRH.
a) A base layer, can be a thermal layer or a quick dry t-shirt.
b) A heavy jacket (Double layer or Fleece jacket ) as middle layer.
c) A windproof with hood as the outer layer.
Access to Har Ki Dun trek base (Sankri):
We will arrange a pickup from Dehradun railway station to Sankri and back. This will be shared by the team members on actual basis and paid directly to the driver. his will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is Rs 5500 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. This can accommodate 6 to 8 people. A Tempo Traveller charges Rs 9000 (12-14 seat) one way. This is NOT included in TREK FEE.
To reach the trek base Lohajung independently/public transportation check the details in GETTING THERE TAB.
Download the list of things to carry in Har Ki Dun trek
Download PDF brochure for Brahma Tal trek
Duration: 5 days of trek; Dehradun to Dehradun in 7 days.
Prerequisite: Ideal first Himalayan trek with basic physical fitness.
Highest Point: Har Ki Dun valley ~ 3500 m/11500 ft.
Length: 50 Km
Seasons: April to June and October to December.
Further Option: Continue to further north and cross Borasu Pass to reach Chhitkul (Difficult)
Access: Trek starting point and end point is Sankri.
Rail station: Dehradun (STN Code: DDN)
Airport: Delhi; Jolly Grant in Dehradun (Airport Code: DED)
Upcoming scheduled dates for Har Ki Dun trek:
- You can check the scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 7 days itinerary).
- At present BOOK NOW functionality is disabled. You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach Dehradun on Day 1 morning (latest by 8 am) or the previous night. Return to Dehradun on Day 7 evening by 7 pm. Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return accordingly.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Dehradun railway station|
|REPORTING TIME||7:00 AM for a prompt departure to Sankri (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 7:00 PM (Day 7)|
Access to Sankri (The trek base):
Nearest Rail station: Dehradun (Station Code: DDN)
Nearest Airport: Delhi, Jolly Grant in Dehradun (Airport Code: DED)
We will arrange a pickup from Dehradun to Sankri and drop from Sankri to Dehradun. This will be shared by the team members on actual basis. One side cost for a Ta Ta Sumo/Mahindra Maxx is Rs 6000.
Otherwise if a trekker wants to reach Sankri by public vehicle then here is how:
1) There are 2/3 privately operated buses from Dehradun (near DDN railway station on Gandhi road) To Sankri. The 200 Km journey will take around 12 hours. The buses start at 5:30/6/7 am.
2) While returning from Sankri take the morning bus to Dehradun/Vikasnagar and reach by 7 pm.
For the treks at Uttarkashi district in Garhwal , one has to reach the capital city of Uttarakhand, Dehradun, specially the trek starting from Sankri, Yamunotri etc. Haridwar, Rishikesh and Dehradun are 3 nearby cities in the area and one can move from one to another by public vehicles like bus or shared Jeeps.
For more options to reach Haridwar you can check here.
Haridwar to Dehradun: 55 Km and may take one and half to 2 hours.
Dehradun to Rishikesh: 45 Km and may take around one and a half hour.
There are direct trains from Kolkata to Dehradun.
KUMBHA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12369 ( Very good option to reach Haridwar by 5 pm; You can take a bus from the terminus just opposite to the railway station referred as Roadways bus stand/ISBT and reach Dehradun in one and half hour. Spend the night in Dehradun and start your onward journey by car next morning.)
UPASANA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12327 ( Very good option to reach Dehradun directly by 5 pm; Spend the night in Haridwar and start your onward journey by car next morning)
DOON EXPRESS – Train No. – 13009 (Don’t book this train when you plan a long onward journey immediately in the morning)]
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berths and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Following trains are good to reach Haridwar and run daily.
DDN JANSHTBDI – Train No. 12055 (Arrives HW in the evening @ 9:10 pm, good choice when you stay the night in Dehradun and have a long drive ahead next day)
NANDA DEVI EXP – Train No. 12205 (arrives HW early morning @ 5:40am)
Always avoid booking waitlisted (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Govt. Road Transport (Roadways of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana, Punjab etc.) buses are frequently available in day time and night from Kashmiri Gate ISBT (http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/doit_transport/Transport/Home/ISBT/Fare+Chart). Tickets are available on board for these regular type buses. From Delhi Airport or Station you can reach ISBT Kashmiri Gate via Delhi Metro service (http://www.delhimetrorail.com/metro-fares.aspx). It is only 4 Km from NDLS and can be reached easily by booking an auto rickshaw.
For privately operated bus, you can book online from different portals (http://www.redbus.in). Select a boarding point suitably. Overnight Volvo/A.C/Push back bus service. Normally these buses take up to 7 hours to reach Dehradun ISBT. You can book an auto rickshaw for Railway Station (5 Km away)/Hotel Drona (GMVN) or take a shared auto (Route No. 5) from ISBT.
[There are two major bus terminus in Dehradun. The buses from Delhi/Haridwar goes to the ISBT (Inter State Bus Terminus) and the other one is the Parvatiya Depot (Hill Depot, from where you can get the buses going up the hills like Uttarkashi, Barkot, Purola etc) located just beside the Railway station.
For night stay in Dehradun:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Dehradun. There are several options in Dehradun for spending a night while staying in Premium, Standard or Budget accommodation. Options vary from Privately operated Hotels/Lodges, to state run Tourist Rest Houses.
State run GMVN (Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam) operates Hotel Drona complex is 10 minutes walking from the railway Station. You can book an auto rickshaw. From ISBT it is around 5 Km. You can book an auto rickshaw to Hotel Drona (GMVN) or take a shared auto (Route No. 5) from ISBT (Inter State Bus Terminus). This is a reliable and a decent choice for Standard accommodation. The have restaurant and room service.
Check the following for online booking of the above: http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn/tour/booktrh.asp
You can call or visit GMVN nearest office or even send an email for more information.The information is available at:
Normally you reach Dehradun from any trek base by 7/8 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 9 pm or regular bus service as mentioned above to reach Delhi or directly to your homeward journey in the same night.
TREK FEE: Rs 9800 (Sankri to Sankri) + 5% GST
Book for 3-5 persons and get a discount of 5% and for 5 or more persons get flat 10% discount on TREK FEE
2 night’s accommodation at Sankri (Day 1 & Day 6) in lodge on sharing basis and dinner.
All meals during the trek. Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including occasional eggs), breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
Excellent Mountain Guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
Stay in tents (3 persons dome or ridge shaped tents) on sharing basis during the trek.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon. (Bring your own sleeping if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
Kitchen tent, dinning tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Accidental Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age). It covers your trek as well as your return journey to Dehradun.
Transportation from Dehradun to and back (Rs 1500-1800 per persons both ways for the pick up and drop when shared with fellow trekkers)
We assume that you will carry your personal Rucksack/Backpack with all your personal belongings. If you want to offload your Rucksack and be carried by our Pack Animal/Porter then you need to pay additional ₹ 1500 for the entire duration of the trek. The Rucksack should not weigh more than 10 Kg.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT supports staff.
Anything is is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
Drive to Sankri: 200 Km - 10/11 hours
Pickup in the morning from Dehradun and reach Sankri (~ 1900m, 6230 ft) . Distance around 200 Km and can take 9/10 hours. The road is one of the most scenic in Garhwal region while we go up to the classy hill station of Mussorie at the beginning, turquoise Yamuna river in the middle and conifer forests of blue pine and meandering Tons river at the later half of the journey. The major points are Mussorie, Yamuna Pool, Damta, Nawgaon, Purola, Mori and Netwar. Mori is the last place from where one can get a confirmed mobile phone network and also has a SBI ATM. Though Sankri has a BSNL tower but network doesn’t remain most of the time! After crossing Netwar we reach the check post of Govind Vanya Jibh Vihar (Govind National Park) from where the permits need to be obtained. Sankri has few private lodges and a GMVN operated Tourist Rest House (TRH) and couple of basic restaurant to serve food. Night stay in lodge/TRH.
Drive to Taluka: 1 hour; Trek to Seema: 14 Km - 6/7 hours
Trek to Har Ki Dun: 11 Km - 5/6 hours
Exploration Day towards Marinda Tal or Jamdar Glacier: 8/10 Km - 4/5 hours
Trek to Osla/Seema: 11 Km - 5 hours
Trek to Taluka: 14 Km - 6/7 hours; Drive to Sankri: 1 hour
Drive to Dehradun: 200 Km - 10 hours
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
CLICK HERE For List of Things to Carry in Har Ki Dun Trek OR DOWNLOAD PDF BROCHURE.
CLICK HERE For Registration and Cancellation OR DOWNLOAD PDF BROCHURE.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” (https://himalayatrekker.com/terms-and-conditions) before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit/AMEX cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full TREK/TOUR FEE.
- “Booking Amount” i.e.25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you avery flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to informminimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to firstname.lastname@example.org