- 1 Week trek
- Fall Treks
- Moderate Grade Treks in Himalayas
- Monsoon Treks
- Spring Treks
- Summer Treks
- Winter Treks
Ali Bugyal and Bedni Bugyal trek
Ali and Bedni “Bugyal” two adjacent alpine meadows form one of the most eye soothing and peak view rich trail, Ali Bugyal and Bedni Bugyal trek. Literally you will be spending 2 days on the vast expanse of the alpine meadows , locally called Bugyal. What more one may ask, if you are surrounded by high mountains like Trishul, Nandaghunti and Mrigthuni? These gigantic massifs are aerially very close to you, not more than 5 Km as the crow flies. But wait, there is something more in this trek. For you who want to push a step forward, there is a climb to Bedni Bugyal Top or who want another challenging day. From Bedni top and Bedni Bugyal meadows, you will get panoramic views of Garhwal heartland i.e. Chaukhamba region. Stretching from Neelkanth and surrounding peaks in Badrinath valley to Kedarnath, Mandani peaks in east, magnificent Chaukhamba pillars (I,II,III, IV) are definitely the central attraction.
Weather is unpredictable on mountains, specially on Bugyals. There is a saying locally that “Mumbai ka fashion aur Bugyal o ka mausam“, implicating that the weather keeps changing on meadows frequently. While mornings are normally clear with outstanding mountain views, afternoons are misty. Snowing naturally occurs from December to February during winters, but it may snow as late as early May as well.
Day 1: Drive from Kathgodam to Lohajung – 220 Km by car – 10 hours – lodge
Day 2: Trek to Didna– 10 Km – 5 hours – homestay
Day 3: Trek to Ali Bugyal forest camp – 8 Km – 5/6 hours – camp
Day 4: Climb to Bedni top and descent to Bedni Bugyal meadows – explore (Bedni Kund, Nanda Devi temple etc) – lunch – trek down to Gahroli Patal – 8 Km – 6/7 hours total – camp
Day 5: Descent to Wan village – 9 Km – 4/5 hours – drive to Lohajung – 15 Km – 45 mins – lodge
Day 6: Drive from Lohajung to Haridwar – By car – 280 Km – 12 hours
Note: You need to reach Kathgodam by 7 am on Day 1 and you will return to Haridwar by 8 pm on Day 6. Arrange your inward ticket to Kathgodam and outward journey from Haridwar accordingly. We can arrange pickup from Kathgodam and drop to Haridwar by car, as required. This is shared by the trekkers and payable directly to driver. Transportation to and fro Lohajung is NOT INCLUDED in the TREK FEE.
Altitude and distance profile graph for Bedni Bugyal trek:
Below is a pictorial representation of the trail profile. You can estimate the relative gradient for ascent or descent on each day.
Why Bugyal Bedni Bugyal trek?
Apart from the scenic meadows with fascinating high peak views there are other takeaways from this trek. Your first days trek is till Didna which is picturesque village on the shoulder of a mountain ridge. You will get good amount of time in the afternoon to explore Didna and surroundings. Its a charm to meet the friendly local people, and observing their simple lifestyle.
Also this trail used to be part of the famous Roopkund trek which was once crowded in peak trekking season. Due to camping ban order on meadows and Bugyal now Roopkund trek is closed. So its a nice opportunity for you now to spend your trekking days on a serene and calm trail what it used to be 15 years back 😎
Clothing and expected temperature in Ali Bedni Bugyal trek:
It is important to carry proper clothing in winter as the campsite temperatures are sub zero in winter.
Winter temperature (Dec to Feb):
From December to February during winter the daytime temp remains cool and nights are cold. Late night/early morning temperatures are minimum for any place and expect following temperature range:
Lohajung: 2° to -5°C;
Didna: 0°C to -5°C
Ali Bugyal Forest camp: -5°C to -10°C
Gahroli Patal: 0°C to -8°C
Note that inside the tent temperature will be around 10°C warmer at a given place, but still may be freezing in winters.
Three layers of clothing is mandatory in the campsite while you are outside tent.
a) A thermal base layer (warm woolly-cot material).
b) A heavy jacket (Double layer or Fleece jacket ) as middle layer/insulation layer.
c) A windproof cum waterproof with hood as the outer layer.
Summer & Fall (May to Sep):
Day time weather remains warm and pleasant. Night/early morning temperatures at camp sites can be from 10°C (lower camps) to 2°C (higher camps)
You will not require the thermal base layer from May to September. Your mid layer jacket and a waterproof cum windproof outer layer should be good.
Access to Bedni Bugyal trek base, Lohajung:
We will arrange a pickup from Kathgodam railway station to Lohajung and drop from Lohajung to Haridwar. This will be shared by the team members on actual basis and paid directly to the driver. his will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is ₹ 5500 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. This can accommodate 6 to 8 people. A Tempo Traveller charges ₹ 9000 (12-14 seat) one way. While returning the charges are ₹ 6000 and ₹ 10000 respectively for a Tata Sumo and Temp Traveller from Lohajung to Haridwar. This is NOT included in TREK FEE.
To reach the trek base Lohajung independently/public transportation check the details in GETTING THERE TAB.
Download the list of things to carry in Bedni Bugyal trek
Why treks with HT?
|Expertise:||10 years on ground experience|
|Support staff:||Qualified local & office staff|
|Group size:||Small groups up to 15|
|Insurance:||Travel insured trek and tour itinerary|
|Easy Bookings:||25% Booking Deposit|
Duration: 4 days of trek; Kathgodam to Haridwar in 6 days.
Prerequisite: Ideal for beginners/first Himalayan trek.
Highest Point: Bedni Top ~ 3810 m/12500 ft.
Trail Length: 35 Km
Seasons: March to May (Spring-Summer/Snow), June to September (for greener meadows), December to February (Winter/Snow)
Further Option: Continue trekking from wan, via Tilburi reach Brahma Tal and descent to Lohajung. 7-8 trekking days.
Access: Trek starting point (trek base) is Lohajung, 220 Km from Kathgodam.
Rail station: Kathgodam (STN Code: KGM); Haridwar (while return, STN Code: HW)
Upcoming scheduled dates for Ali Bedni Bugyal trek:
- You can check the scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 6 days itinerary).
- At present BOOK NOW functionality is disabled. You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach Kathgodam on Day 1 morning (latest by 7 am). Return to Haridwar on Day 6 late evening (8-9 pm). Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return accordingly.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Kathgodam railway station|
|REPORTING TIME||7:00 AM for a prompt departure to Lohajung (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 8:00/9:00 PM (Day 6)|
How to reach Lohajung (The trek base):
Nearest Rail station: Kathgodam (Station Code: KGM)
Nearest Airport: Delhi
We will arrange a pick up and drop from Kathgodam to Lohajung and back. This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is Rs 5500 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. These can accommodate 6 to 8 people. Similarly a Tempo Traveller charges Rs 9000 which can accommodate 12 people. This is NOT included in the TREK FEE and to be payable directly to the driver/owner.
If you wish to reach our Trek Base Lohajung on your own by public transportation:
- From Kathgodam there is no direct bus or shared car service to Lohajung. Reach latest by 6 am to Haldwani (The city, 4 Km before Kathgodam) and take a shared Jeep service to Deval. This is is 25 Km before Lohajung. From Deval you may get another shared service to Lohajung or you may have to hire one.
- If you travel from Haridwar side, then reach Rishikesh on the previous night (Day 0, 25 Km from Haridwar) and board the bus for Mandoli/Lohajung at 5 am next morning. This private bus takes 12 to 14 hours to reach Lohajung. As this is a privately operated bus so may not operate during the high demand of Chardham yatra season. The route is via Devprayag, Rudraprayag, Karanprayag, Tharali and Deval. 260 Km.
- From Lohajung the bus to Rishikesh starts early in the morning by 6 am and reach by 6 pm .
How to reach Kathgodam:
For the treks in Kumaon or in the bordering area of Garhwal, one has to reach Kathgodam/Haldwani normally. Lal Kuan is just 20 Km and Haldwani is 5 Km before Kathgodam. Bus, shared taxi and private cars are available.
You can fly or by train reach New Delhi as per your convenience from any part within India. Reach Delhi accordingly that you have enough time for transit withing Delhi.
There are direct trains from Kolkata to Kathgodam(KGM)/Lal Kuan(LKU)
BAGH EXPRESS – Train No. 13019 (ONLY book when you stay the night at Kathgodam, DON’t book this train when you plan a long onward journey immediately in the morning)]
HWH LKU EXP – Train No. 12353 – Lalkuan Express (runs only on Friday, you need to stay at Kathgodam for the night, only 20 Km away)
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
You can reach KATHGODAM/HALDWANI EASILY FROM NEW DELHI BY TRAIN OR BUS (~ 6/8 HOURS) AND IS AROUND 270 KM.
Following trains are good to reach Kathgodam and run daily.
RANIKHET EXP – Train No. 15013 (best option, runs overnight, arrives KGM early morning @ 5 am. Board from Delhi(DLI)/Old Delhi Junction station)
UTR SAMPRK K EX – Uttaranchal Sampark Kranti Express – Train No. 15035 (good option when you stay the night @ Kathgodam and travel next morning)
ANVT KGM SHT – Anand Vihar Kathgodam Shatabdi Express – Train No. 12040 (Arrives KGM in the morning @ 11:40 am, alternate choice when you stay the night in Kathgodam and travel by car next morning)
Always avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Haldwani buses are more frequent than that of Kathgodam. Its easy to reach Kathgodam from Haldwani which is only 5 Km away.
Govt. Road Transport (Roadways of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana etc) buses are frequently available in day time and night from Anand Vihar ISBT Tickets are available on board for these regular type buses. Some of the state transport companies offer online reservation for Volvo/A.C Luxury buses. Check these Govt. operated state bus services for online booking:
From Delhi Airport or Station you can reach ISBT Anand Vihar via Delhi Metro service (http://www.delhimetrorail.com/metro-fares.aspx).
For privately operated bus, you can book online from different portals (http://www.redbus.in). Select a boarding point suitably. Overnight Volvo/A.C/Push back bus service.
For night stay in Kathgodam:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Kathgodam. There are few options in Kathgodam for spending a night while staying in Standard accommodation.
State run KMVN (Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam) operates Tourist Rest House at Kathgodam just opposite to the railway station (beside Bus stand). This is a reliable and a decent choice for Standard accommodation. Check the following for reservation of the above
There are privately run hotels/lodges near Kathgodam railway station & Haldwani Bus terminus.
Return from Kathgodam:
Normally you reach from trek base to Kathgodam by 5/6 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 7 pm or regular bus service as mentioned above to reach Delhi or directly to your homeward journey.
Drive from Kathgodam to Lohajung: 220 Km - 10/11 hours
Pickup from Kathgodam in the morning and reach Lohajung (~ 2320 m/7600 ft) which is 220 Km away. The journey may take around 10 hours with a break or two. The road is through the Kumaon region and mostly goes along wide spread valleys of Shivalik Himalaya. We cross Almora and Kausani on our way. From Gwaldam onward the road enters in the Garhwal administrative region and the road is gradually winding and goes through the conifer forest.
The last stretch of the journey from Deval to Lohajung has considerable height gain. Lohajung has one GMVN tourist lodge, one Tourist Rest House and few private hotels. All the major mobile networks have connectivity here. The sunset from Lohajung needs a special mention indeed. Warm colours on Nandaghunti massif is bound to make you speechless. The night accommodation in Tourist Rest House/Lodge.
Trek to Didna– 10 Km – 5 hours
Trek to Ali Bugyal forest camp – 8 Km – 5/6 hours
Climb Bedni top - explore Bedni Bugyal - trek down to Gahroli Patal - 7 Km - 6/7 hours
Trek down to Wan – 9 Km – 4/5 hours - by car Lohajung - 1 hour
Drive to Rishikesh/Haridwar - 250-270 Km - 10/11 hours
Today morning we start our return journey and this time to Haridwar. We follow the same route till Tharali and turn right towards Karnaprayag following the turquoise Pindar river. From Karnaprayag we follow Alaknanda river till Rudraprayag where another tributary Mandakini meets. Following the river valley at Devprayag, two main sources Alaknanda and Bhagirathi river form the holy river Ganga. Rishikesh is another two hours journey from here. Finally we reach Haridwar completing our journey. Trip ends here.
Note that it is also possible to return to Kathgodam like you reached Lohajung.
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
TREK FEE: ₹ 8450 (Lohajung to Lohajung) + 5% GST
Book for 5 persons or more and get flat 10% Group Discount on TREK FEE
2 night’s accommodation at Lohajung (Day 1 & Day 5) in lodge on sharing basis and dinner.
All meals during the trek. Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including occasional eggs), breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
Excellent Trekking Guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
Stay in tents (3 persons dome or ridge shaped tents) on sharing basis during the trek.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon. (Bring your own sleeping if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
Kitchen tent, dinning tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
Car drop from trek end point Wan to Lohajung on Day 5.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Travel insurance cum Accidental Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age). It covers your trek as well as your return journey to Haridwar/Kathgodam for a duration of 7 days.
Transportation from Kathgodam to Lohajung and back to Haridwar/Kathgodam (₹ 1800-2000 per persons both ways for the pick up and drop).
We assume that you will carry your personal Rucksack/Backpack with all your personal belongings. If you want to offload your Rucksack and be carried by our Pack Animal/Porter then you need to pay additional ₹ 1200 for the entire duration of the trek. The Rucksack should not weigh more than 10 Kg.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT supports staff.
Anything is is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” (https://himalayatrekker.com/terms-and-conditions) before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit/AMEX cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full TREK/TOUR FEE.
- “Booking Amount” i.e.25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you avery flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to informminimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to [email protected]