- 1 Week trek
- Fall Treks
- Kashmir Treks
- Moderate Grade Treks in Himalayas
- Monsoon Treks
- Summer Treks
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek:
Recent COVID_19 Update July 2020: We are pleased to inform you that some of our local members had a discussion with the Tourism Director of Jammu and Kashmir. He informed us that the department would permit trekking activities in the Kashmir region with certain guidelines in place that we have to adhere to, kindly refer the travelling rules in Kashmir during COVID -19 as per the government order w.e.f 14/07/2020 .
Kashmir Great Lakes, aka KGL is relatively new trail become increasingly popular and now one of the most coveted trek during monsoon. Kashmir- “The paradise on earth” is truly unfurled during this 7 days walk covering a distance of 65 Km. Several high altitude lakes and alpine meadows dotted with tiny wild flowers makes this journey a fascinating one.
Day 1: Drive from Srinagar to Sitkari (Trek base 2 Km before Sonamarg) – 85 Km – 3 hours
Day 2: Trek to Nichnai – 11 Km – 7/8 hours
Day 3: Trek to Vishansar Lake – 12 Km – 6/7 hours
Day 4: Rest and active acclimatisation Day. Hike to Kishansar lake and back – 2 hours.
Day 5: Trek to Gadsar (after lake near army camp) – 14 Km – 7/8 hours
Day 6: Trek to Mengendhop via Satsar – 10 Km – 5/6 hours
Day 7: Trek to Nundkol lake (near Gangabal lake) – 8 Km – 5/6 hours – visit Gangabal lake and return – 2 hours
Day 8: Trek to Naranag – 11 Km – 5/6 hours – 70 Km drive to Srinagar – 3 hours
Day 9: Mandatory reserve day. Must due to weather or any other unforeseen conditions.
** You need to reach latest by 2 pm on Day 1 in Srinagar. After the trek you will return to Srinagar on Day 8 or 9 (if reserve day is utilised), by 7 pm. Arrange your tickets, and stay in Srinagar accordingly.
** If we don’t use the reserve day then you will be back to Srinagar on Day 8 evening. You may take a Shikara ride on Dal Lake, houseboat stay etc in Srinagar.
** Please note that prepaid sim cards do not work in Kashmir.
KGL trek: Distance & Altitude profile chart:
Below is an indicative profile of the trekking trail. Note that you will get more undulations (ups and downs) on the actual trail.
How to reach KGL trek base (Sitkari near Sonamarg):
Our trek base Sitkari is around 3 hours drive from Srinagar via Kangan and Gangangir. Similarly trek end point Naranag is around 70 Km away from Srinagar.
Most convenient way to reach Srinagar is via flight. Sheikh Ul-Alam International Airport in Srinagar (Code: SXR) is around 10 Km away from the city centre.
Otherwise, nearest railway station is in Jammu (Station Code: JAT) and it takes around 10 hours to reach Srinagar, covering ~ 280 Km.
We will arrange a car pick up from airport/city centre to trek base Sitkari and from trek end point Naranag to Srinagar back. A Tata Sumo type vehicle charge is ₹ 3000 one way. It can accommodate up to 6 persons and you pay directly to the driver sharing equally.
Click here to view the List of Things to carry in Kashmir Great Lakes trek
Don’t forget to check the List of things to carry in KGL trek or download the PDF.
Why treks with HT?
|Expertise:||10 years on ground experience|
|Support staff:||Qualified local & office staff|
|Group size:||Small groups up to 15|
|Insurance:||Travel insured trek and tour itinerary|
|Easy Bookings:||25% Booking Deposit|
Duration: 7 days of trek; Srinagar to Srinagar in 8 days.
Highest Point: Gadsar Pass ~ 4200 m/13750 ft.
Length: 70 Km
Seasons: Mid July to mid September
Further Option: From Naranag drive to Sumbhol and trek to Tarsar and Marsar
Access: Trek starting point is Sonamarg, 90 Km from Srinagar
Rail station: Jammu Tawi (STN Code: JAT)
Airport:Srinagar (Code: SXR)
Upcoming scheduled dates for KGL trek:
- You can check the scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 8 days itinerary).
- At present BOOK NOW functionality is disabled. You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach Srinagar on Day 1 by 2 pm. Return to Srinagar on Day 8 evening by 7 pm. Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return accordingly.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Srinagar Tourist Reception Centre (TRC)|
|REPORTING TIME||2:00 PM for a prompt departure to Sonamarg (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 7:00 PM (Day 8)|
Getting to Sonamarg (The trek base):
We will arrange a car pickup from Srinagar to Sonamarg and from Naranag to Srinagar back. This will be shared equally by the availing team members.
The best option to reach Srinagar is by flight. There are direct flights from Delhi.
By train one has to reach Jammu and then a drive to Srinagar takes around 12 hours covering approximately 300 Km.
Drive to Sonamarg: 90 Km - 3 hours
Pickup from Srinagar TRC in the afternoon (between 2 to 3 PM) and reach Shutkari (~ 2300m, 7500ft) the trek base which is 2 Km before Sonamarg. The 80 odd Km drive from Srinagar takes up to 3 hours, following Sindh river on Srinagar Leh highway. The camp site is beside a tributary to Indus and located opposite to the small village called Shutkari. Tented accommodation for the night.
Trek to Nichnai: 11 Km - 7/8 hours
Trek to Vishansar via Nichnai Pass: 12 Km - 6/7 hours
Trek to Gadsar via Kishansar and Gadsar Pass: 12 Km - 7/8 hours
Trek to Myangandhop via Satsar: 10 Km - 6/7 hours
Trek to Nandkul via Zaj Pass: 10 Km - 6/7 hours
A walk to Gangabal lake plus a rest day
Trek to Naranag: 11 Km - 6/7 hours; Drive to Srinagar: 70 Km - 3 hours
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
TREK FEE: ₹ 13500 (Sonamarg to Naranag) + 5% GST
Book for 5 or more persons get flat 10% discount on TREK FEE
All Meals ( vegetarian) during the trek (breakfast, hot/packed lunch, dinner, tea/coffee/soup.
Professional Guide, Cook & Helper.
Porters/Packed animals to carry the central logistics.
Stay as required in tents on sharing basis during the trek.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Dining tent, Toilet tent, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon.
Permit fee, camping charges, forest levy as required in the trek.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Travel insurance cum Accidental Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age). It covers your trek as well as your itinerary for a duration of 10 days.
Transportation from Srinagar airport to trek base Shutkari, and from trek end point Naranag to Srinagar back. ₹ 3000 one way for a Tata Sumo and can accommodate up to 6 persons.
Cost of Mandatory reserve day, i.e. Day 9. If we use this during trekking, you need to pay additional ₹ 2000 per person. This will be collected at Naranag.
We assume that you will carry your Rucksack/Backpack including all your personal belongings. If you prefer to offload your bag and carried by our horse/porter then an additional Rucksack offloading charge of ₹ 2000 is to be paid directly on spot for the entire duration of the trek.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT supports staff.
Anything is is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the Trek/Tour Fee as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full Trek/Tour Fee.
- “Booking Amount” i.e. 25% of the Trek/Tour Fee is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you a very flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to inform minimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from 14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to [email protected]