Kuari Pass Trek – On Curzon’s trail:
Kuari Pass at an altitude of (3850 m/12630 ft), is a mid altitude pass located centrally in the heart of Garhwal Himalayas. This trail was first traced by British Governor General Lord Curzon in the early 20th century and famous as “Lord Curzon’s Trail”. This classy trek route blends almost every variety which a medium altitude trek can offer. Connecting one valley to another, pristine forests, interior villages, vast expanse of Bugyal are delightful to camp. Gradual ups and downs to the pass present surprise to the experienced trekkers too. From Kuari Pass the view is one of the best panoramas in the Himalayas. All the peaks in the upper Dhauliganga valley, Badrinath valley and Chowkhamba/Satopanth valley peaks are visible. Hati & Ghora parvat, Mukut, Rishi, Kamet, Dronagiri, Nilgiri parvat, Ratavan, Neelkanth, Mana and Chowkhamba are notable peaks. Gurson Bugyal considered one of the most beautiful alpine meadows in Garhwal and offers stunning view points of gigantic Himalayan massifs. Auli is revered for its close view of Mt. Nanda Devi and the cable car ride down to Joshimath.
Day 1: Haridwar to Ramni (via Nandaprayag, Ghat) – 260 Km by car – 12 hours
Day 2: Ramni to Jhinji over Chechna Vinayak Pass – 9 Km – 5/6 hours
Day 3: Jhinji to Pana – 10 Km – 5/6 hours
Day 4: Pana to Dakwani – 8 Km – 5 hour
Day 5: Dakwani to Tali over Kuari Pass – 8 Km – 5/6 hours
Day 6: Tali to Auli camping ground – 7 Km – 4 hours
Day 7: Auli to Haridwar – 290 Km by car – 10/11 hours
Note: Additional one day required to include Pangarchulla summit
*** Trekkers need to reach on their own to Haridwar, Day 1 morning (by 7 am) or the previous night. Return to Haridwar on Day 7 evening (by 9 pm). Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return from Haridwar accordingly. Transportation cost to reach Ramni and return from Auli are not included in the TREK FEE. ***
Duration: 5 days of trek; Haridwar to Haridwar in 7 days.
Highest Point: Kuari Pass ~ 3850 m/12630 ft.
Length: 45 Km
Seasons: May/June and September to November.
Further Option: Climb Pangarchulla peak
Access: Trek starting point is Ramni and end point is Auli.
Rail station: Haridwar (STN Code: HW)
Airport: Delhi, Jolly Grant in Dehradun (Airport Code: DED)
Upcoming scheduled dates for Kuari Pass trek:
- You can check the scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 7 days itinerary).
- At present BOOK NOW functionality is disabled. You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach Haridwar on Day 1 morning (latest by 7 am) or the previous night. Return to Haridwar on Day 7 evening (around 8 pm). Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return accordingly.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Haridwar railway station|
|REPORTING TIME||6:00 AM for a prompt departure to Joshimath (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 8:00 PM (Day 7)|
Access to Ghat (The trek base): We will arrange a pickup and drop from Haridwar to Ghat and back from Auli to Haridwar. This will be shared by the team members on actual basis. The car fare is Rs 6000 one way for a Ta Ta Sumo/Mahindra Maxx vehicle.
Otherwise if a trekker wants to reach Ghat by public vehicle then there are two options:
1) Reach Haridwar in the previous night or earlyin the morning and board the direct bus for Ghat. It starts from Haridwar (GMOU Private Bus stand, opposite to Haridwar Railway Station) at 5 am in the morning and takes around 12 hrs to reach Ghat. This is a privately operated bus and may not operate during the high Chardham yatra season. The route is via Rishikesh, Devprayag, Rudraprayag, Karanprayag, and Devprayag.
2) Take a State or Private operated bus for Karnaprayag or Nandaprayag.Also sometime you can get shared taxis just outside the Haridwar Railway Station. Ghat is 40 Km from Karnaprayag and 20 Km from Nandaprayag. From here you can get shared taxi for Ghat.
3) From the trek end point Auli, Joshimath is 14 km downhill. You have to reserve a taxi from Auli or simply you can trek down in 2 to 2 and 1/2 hrs. Joshimath is on the Badrinath highway and early in the morning you can get buses for Haridwar or Rishikesh.
There are direct trains from Kolkata to Haridwar.
KUMBHA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12369 ( Very good option to reach Haridwar by 5 pm; Spend the night in Haridwar and start your onward journey by car next morning)
UPASANA EXPRESS – Train No. – 12327 ( Very good option to reach Haridwar by 5 pm; Spend the night in Haridwar and start your onward journey by car next morning)
DOON EXPRESS – Train No. – 13009 (Don’t book this train when you plan a long onward journey immediately in the morning)]
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Following trains are good to reach Haridwar and run daily.
DDN JANSHTBDI – Train No. 12055 (Arrives HW in the evening @ 7:30 pm, good choice when you stay the night in Haridwar and have a long drive ahead next day)
NANDA DEVI EXP – Train No. 12205 (arrives HW early morning @ 4am)
UTKAL EXPRESS – Train No. 18477 (arrives HW in the night @ 9pm)
MUSSOORIE EXP – Train No. 14041 (arrives HW in the morning @ 5:45am)
Always avoid booking waitlisted (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Govt. Road Transport (Roadways of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana, Punjab etc.) buses are frequently available in day time and night from Kashmiri Gate ISBT (http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/doit_transport/Transport/Home/ISBT/Fare+Chart). Tickets are available on board for these regular type buses. From Delhi Airport or Station you can reach ISBT Kashmiri Gate via Delhi Metro service (http://www.delhimetrorail.com/metro-fares.aspx). It is only 4 Km from NDLS and can be reached easily by booking an auto rickshaw.
For privately operated bus, you can book online from different portals (http://www.redbus.in). Select a boarding point suitably. Overnight Volvo/A.C/Push back bus service.
For night stay in Haridwar:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Haridwar. There are several options in Haridwar for spending a night while staying in Premium, Standard or Budget accommodation. Options vary from Privately operated Hotels/Lodges, to State run Tourist rest House and Dharamshalas.
State run GMVN (Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam) operates Hotel Rahi just beside the Bus Stand and opposite to the Haridwar Railway Station. This is a reliable and a decent choice for Standard accommodation.
Check the following for online booking of the above: http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn/tour/booktrh.asp
You can call or visit GMVN nearest office or even send an email for more information.The information is available at:
Normally you reach Haridwar from any trek base by 7/8 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 9 pm or regular bus service as mentioned above to reach Delhi or directly to your homeward journey in the same night.
Drive to Ramni: 260 Km - 12 hours
Pickup from Haridwar in the morning and reach Ramni/Ramani (~ 2200 m, 7200 ft) which is 260 Km away. The journey may take around 12 hours with a break or two. The entire journey is along the Ganges and its major tributaries and touching several confluence points named as Prayag, e.g. Deoprayag ( Bhagirathi and Alaknanda), Rudraprayag (Alaknanda and Mandakini), Karnaprayag (Alaknanda and Pindar).The road till Nandaprayag (Alaknanda and Nandakini) is the one which leads to Badrinath and we take a detour from Nandaprayag to the right and get into the Nandakini valley to reach the small town called Ghat. From here the road starts gaining altitude and we reach the last road on this side to the small village called Ramni. We camp for the night.
Trek to Jhinji: 9 Km - 5/6 hours
Trek to Pana: 10 Km - 5/6 hours
Trek to Dakwani: 8 Km - 5 hours
Trek to Tali over Kuari Pass: 8 Km - 5/6 hours
Trek to Auli: 7 Km - 4 hours
Drive to Haridwar: 290 Km - 12 hours
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
Pangarchulla peak climb:
Trekkers who are interested to summit the Pangarchulla peak (~ 4400 m/14400 ft) need an additional day. After crossing the pass we traverse towards the peak and camp at a suitable spot below the summit. Pangarchulla is a uniform triangular shaped peak standing almost 2000 ft (~ 600 m) higher from this point. Till the end of May snow remains on the grassy slope of the peak. During monsoon and till October the climb is easy on the gradual grassy slope. This is the highest point of the surrounding area and the views from the peak are captivating. It may take 5 hrs to climb the peak from the camp and another 3 hrs to return. Next day you can directly descent to Auli.
CLICK HERE For List of Things to Carry in Kuari Pass Trek OR DOWNLOAD PDF BROCHURE
TREK FEE: Rs 10800 (Ramni to Auli) + 5% GST
Book for 3-5 persons and get a discount of 5% and for 5 or more persons get flat 10% discount on TREK FEE
All meals during the trek. Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including occasional eggs), breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
Excellent Trekking Guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
All night accommodations in tents (3 persons dome or ridge shaped tents) on sharing basis during the trek.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon. (Bring your own sleeping if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
Kitchen tent, dinning tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Accidental Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age). It covers your trek as well as your return journey to Haridwar.
Transportation from Haridwar to Ramni and return from Auli. (Rs 2000-2400 per persons both ways for the pick up and drop when shared with fellow trekkers)
We assume that you will carry your personal Rucksack/Backpack with all your personal belongings. If you want to offload your Rucksack and be carried by our Pack Animal/Porter then you need to pay additional ₹ 1500 for the entire duration of the trek. The Rucksack should not weigh more than 10 Kg.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT supports staff.
Anything is is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood the “Terms & Conditions” before any payment.
- To book for a Fixed Departure or Customised Trek you need to pay 25% of the Trek Cost as the initial “Booking Amount”. You can pay by Online Transfer/Draft. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek. You need to pay the remaining amount at a later stage.
- “Booking Amount” i.e. 25% of the Trek Cost is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If you cancel a trek before 15 days, we will refund 75% of the Trek Cost.
- If you cancel a trek before 14 days to 7 days, we will refund 50% of the Trek Cost.
- If you cancel a trek before 6 to 1 days there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.