- 2-4 Days short trek
- Easy Grade Treks in Himalayas
- Easy Snow Treks
- Fall Treks
- Family friendly
- Garhwal Treks
- Spring Treks
- Summer Treks
- Winter Treks
Bagji Bugyal trek – A short hike to captivating mountain views
About the trek:
Bagji Bugyal trek is a short hike on the far eastern flank of Chamoli district in Uttarakhand. It is adjacent to Pindar valley in Kumaon. This less trodden trail can be ideal for those who are looking for a short easy hike with friends or families. Also it is perfectly suitable for beginners and kids as well. And for the experienced people, it is still a good option for those who seek for new trails and new regions to walk to.
This fresh and pristine trail has splendid peak views including the campsites. Yes, it is rare for a short and easy walk to get mountain views all along the way. Mighty Trishul massif along with Mrigthuni and a series of peaks in Kumaon dominates the skyline. Nandaghunti, Trishul, Bethartoli, Mrigthuni, Devtoli and Maiktoli to mention a few. At the same time you could see the far side peaks of central Garhwal including Chowkhamba and Neelkanth.
The easy walk starts from Ghes, which is an interior village even as per Himalayan standards. We gradually climb and cross the forest section primarily of Oak and Rhododendron trees. In approximately 5 hours of walking we reach the base of the Bagji Bugyal. This area is a transition of forest to alpine meadows, locally called Bugyal.
From here we climb to the meadows and eventually to the Bagji Bugyal Top. As we climb, the views of the other mountains open up both the north eastern and western sides. On a clear day we can see peaks like Maiktoli in the north east and as far as Chaukhamba in the north west. Trishul and Mrigthuni range dominate the northward direction straight ahead. In the opposite direction towards the south, you can see the cascading valley going down forming a beautiful vista.
After visiting the top we take a different trail to get down through the forest to an opening of Dhulomb. On the last day of the trek our destination is Himni village which has a beautiful camping ground beside the school.
If you are a group of people and like to spend more days on quiet and serene trail, then combine Ali Bedni Bugyal trek with Bagji Bugyal. From Himni we can continue to Balan village then climb to Ali Bugyal. However this is better suited for teams who have one or two prior trekking experience(s). This will give you a solid 6 trekking days with a 8 days round trip, Rishikesh to Rishikesh.
Day 1: Drive from Rishikesh (start by 6 am) to Ghes village (2520 m/8500 ft) – 250 Km by car – 10/11 hours . Camp.
Day 2: Trek to Bagji Bugyal base (~ 3200 m/ 10500 ft) – 6 Km – ~ 5 hours. Camp.
Day 3: Trek to Bagji Bugyal and climb the top – explore the area and then descend to Dhulomb. 6-7 Km – 5 to 6 hours. Camp.
Day 4: Trek down to Himni village – 7 Km – Camp. ~ 4 hours. Camp.
Day 5: Drive from Himni to Rishikesh – By car – 265 Km – 10/11 hours
- Often it is convenient to reach Rishikesh anytime on Day 0. Either you can fly to Dehradun (DED, Jolly Grant airport) which is only 1 hour drive from Rishikesh. Otherwise you can get Volvo bus services (morning and overnight) from ISBT Kashmiri Gate Delhi to Rishikesh (5/6 hours). Arrange your stay in Rishikesh accordingly.
- Although we suggest you start from Rishikesh but our trek base camp Ghes can be approached from Kathgodam as well. The journey is approx 220 Km but due to road conditions it takes more time. Additionally the connectivity of Kathgodam is not good as compared to Rishikesh. You can reach Kathgodam by train (Station code: KGM) or by Volvo bus service from ISBT Anand Vihar, Delhi.
- You will return to Rishikesh by 7 pm on Day 5. Arrange your inward and outward journeys from Rishikesh accordingly.
- We can arrange pickup and drop to Rishikesh by car, as required. This is shared by the trekkers and payable directly to the driver. Transportation to and fro base camp is NOT INCLUDED in the TREK FEE.
- ATM: Last ATM at Deval, 25 Km before, but very often without cash. Withdraw well in advance from Rishikesh.
- Mobile connectivity: Airtel and Jio work at trek base Ghes. After this you will not get a signal.
Who can plan this trek?
This is a fairly easy trek which is not physically demanding at all. However you should be comfortably to walk 5 to 6 hours a day with a leisurely pace.
Considering the ups and downs on the trail, it is similar to jog/run 3 Km in 25 mins on a flat surface.
Min & Max age: 8 to 65 years.
Trail map for Bagji Bugyal:
Below is a pictorial representation of the trail through Google maps. We start from Ghes village and after visiting the Bagji Bugyal and accompanied top we descend to Himni village via Dhulomb.
Seasons and best time to visit Bagji Bugyal
You can visit Bagji Bugyal throughout the year apart from the monsoon months. Every season has its uniqueness and charm. Here is the summary:
Summer (May – June): Bugyal starts changing to green. During morning weather remains clear for good mountain views. Afternoons are cloudy or may have occasional pm showers.
Autumn (OCt to Nov): Residual rain in first half of September. Bugyals are green and some flowers remain till end of September. From October grass will turn into yellow and golden. After monsoon this season offers clear views of the mountain without haze.
Winter (Dec to Feb) – Snow trek: Clear views of the mountains. Snowing starts from late December and continues till end of February. Bugyals are yellow-golden to brownish during this time.
Spring (Mar-Apr): Residual snow normally in March, although snowfall may occur even in April. Clear mountain views. You will get some Rhododendrons on your way.
Clothing and expected temperature:
It is important to carry proper clothing in winter as the campsite temperatures are sub zero in winter.
Winter temperature (Dec to Feb):
From December to February during winter the daytime temp remains cool and nights are cold. Late night/early morning temperatures are minimum for any place and expect following temperature range:
Ghes: 2° to -5°C;
Bagji Bugyal base camp: -5°C to -10°C
Note that inside the tent temperature will be around 8° to 10°C warmer at a given place, but still the temperature inside tent can plummet to freezing during winters.
Three layers of clothing is mandatory in the campsite while you are outside tent.
a) A thermal base layer (warm woolly-cot material).
b) A heavy jacket (Double layer or Fleece jacket ) as middle layer/insulation layer.
c) A windproof cum waterproof with hood as the outer layer.
Summer & Autumn (May to Oct):
Day time weather remains warm and pleasant. Night/early morning temperatures at camp sites can be from 10°C (lower camps) to 2°C (higher camps)
You will not require the thermal base layer from May to September. Your mid layer jacket and a waterproof cum windproof outer layer should be good.
Access to Bagji Bugyal trek base – Ghes village:
We will arrange a pickup from Rishikesh to Ghes and drop from Himni to Rishikesh. This will be shared by the team members on actual basis and paid directly to the driver. Here is a route map which shows the your journey to base camp Ghes.
This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver. The fare is ₹ 7500 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. This can accommodate 5 to 6 people. A Tempo Traveller charges ₹ 10500 (12 seat) one way. This is NOT included in TREK FEE.
Why treks with HT?
|Expertise:||12 years of on ground experience|
|Support staff:||Qualified local & office staff|
|Group size:||Small groups up to 15|
|Insurance:||Travel insured trek and tour itinerary|
|Easy Bookings:||25% Booking Deposit|
Duration: 3 days of trek; Rishikesh to Rishikesh in 5 days.
Prerequisite: Ideal for beginners/families/first Himalayan trek.
Highest Point: Bagji Bugyal ~ 3350m/11000 ft.
Trail Length: 20 Km
Seasons: March to June (Spring-Summer), September to November (Autumn-Fall), December to February (Winter/Snow)
Further Option: Continue trekking from Himni Village to Balan village and cross Ali Khal to reach Ali Bugyal. From here and complete the circuit including Ali Bedni Bugyal (6 trekking days, 8 days, Rishikesh to Rishikesh).
Access: Trek starting point (trek base) is Ghes, 250 Km from Rishikesh.
Rail station: Rishikesh (STN Code: RKSH, YNRK); Haridwar STN Code: HW, Rishkesh is 1 hour from here, 25 Km)
Airport: Dehradun (Code: DED) or Delhi.
Upcoming scheduled dates for Bagji Bugyal trek:
- You can check the scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 5 days itinerary).
- You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach Rishikesh on Day 1 morning (latest by 6 am). Return to Rishikesh on Day 5 evening (6 to 7 pm). Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return accordingly.
|REPORTING TIME||6:00 AM for a prompt departure to Lohajung (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 6 to 7 PM (Day 6)|
How to reach Lohajung (The trek base):
Rail station: Rishikesh (STN Code: RKSH, YNRK); Haridwar STN Code: HW, Rishkesh is 1 hour from here, 25 Km)
Airport: Dehradun (Code: DED) or Delhi
We will arrange a pick up and drop from Kathgodam to Lohajung and back. This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is Rs 5500 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. These can accommodate 6 to 8 people. Similarly a Tempo Traveller charges Rs 9000 which can accommodate 12 people. This is NOT included in the TREK FEE and to be payable directly to the driver/owner.
If you wish to reach our Trek Base Lohajung on your own by public transportation:
- From Kathgodam there is no direct bus or shared car service to Lohajung. Reach latest by 6 am to Haldwani (The city, 4 Km before Kathgodam) and take a shared Jeep service to Deval. This is is 25 Km before Lohajung. From Deval you may get another shared service to Lohajung or you may have to hire one.
- If you travel from Haridwar side, then reach Rishikesh on the previous night (Day 0, 25 Km from Haridwar) and board the bus for Mandoli/Lohajung at 5 am next morning. This private bus takes 12 to 14 hours to reach Lohajung. As this is a privately operated bus so may not operate during the high demand of Chardham yatra season. The route is via Devprayag, Rudraprayag, Karanprayag, Tharali and Deval. 260 Km.
- From Lohajung the bus to Rishikesh starts early in the morning by 6 am and reach by 6 pm .
How to reach Kathgodam:
For the treks in Kumaon or in the bordering area of Garhwal, one has to reach Kathgodam/Haldwani normally. Lal Kuan is just 20 Km and Haldwani is 5 Km before Kathgodam. Bus, shared taxi and private cars are available.
You can fly or by train reach New Delhi as per your convenience from any part within India. Reach Delhi accordingly that you have enough time for transit withing Delhi.
There are direct trains from Kolkata to Kathgodam(KGM)/Lal Kuan(LKU)
BAGH EXPRESS – Train No. 13019 (ONLY book when you stay the night at Kathgodam, DON’t book this train when you plan a long onward journey immediately in the morning)]
HWH LKU EXP – Train No. 12353 – Lalkuan Express (runs only on Friday, you need to stay at Kathgodam for the night, only 20 Km away)
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
You can reach KATHGODAM/HALDWANI EASILY FROM NEW DELHI BY TRAIN OR BUS (~ 6/8 HOURS) AND IS AROUND 270 KM.
Following trains are good to reach Kathgodam and run daily.
RANIKHET EXP – Train No. 15013 (best option, runs overnight, arrives KGM early morning @ 5 am. Board from Delhi(DLI)/Old Delhi Junction station)
UTR SAMPRK K EX – Uttaranchal Sampark Kranti Express – Train No. 15035 (good option when you stay the night @ Kathgodam and travel next morning)
ANVT KGM SHT – Anand Vihar Kathgodam Shatabdi Express – Train No. 12040 (Arrives KGM in the morning @ 11:40 am, alternate choice when you stay the night in Kathgodam and travel by car next morning)
Always avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Haldwani buses are more frequent than that of Kathgodam. Its easy to reach Kathgodam from Haldwani which is only 5 Km away.
Govt. Road Transport (Roadways of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana etc) buses are frequently available in day time and night from Anand Vihar ISBT Tickets are available on board for these regular type buses. Some of the state transport companies offer online reservation for Volvo/A.C Luxury buses. Check these Govt. operated state bus services for online booking:
From Delhi Airport or Station you can reach ISBT Anand Vihar via Delhi Metro service (http://www.delhimetrorail.com/metro-fares.aspx).
For privately operated bus, you can book online from different portals (http://www.redbus.in). Select a boarding point suitably. Overnight Volvo/A.C/Push back bus service.
For night stay in Kathgodam:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Kathgodam. There are few options in Kathgodam for spending a night while staying in Standard accommodation.
State run KMVN (Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam) operates Tourist Rest House at Kathgodam just opposite to the railway station (beside Bus stand). This is a reliable and a decent choice for Standard accommodation. Check the following for reservation of the above
There are privately run hotels/lodges near Kathgodam railway station & Haldwani Bus terminus.
Return from Kathgodam:
Normally you reach from trek base to Kathgodam by 5/6 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 7 pm or regular bus service as mentioned above to reach Delhi or directly to your homeward journey.
Drive from Kathgodam to Lohajung: 220 Km - 10/11 hours
Pickup from Kathgodam in the morning and reach Lohajung (~ 2320 m/7600 ft) which is 220 Km away. The journey may take around 10 hours with a break or two. The road is through the Kumaon region and mostly goes along wide spread valleys of Shivalik Himalaya. We cross Almora and Kausani on our way. From Gwaldam onward the road enters in the Garhwal administrative region and the road is gradually winding and goes through the conifer forest.
The last stretch of the journey from Deval to Lohajung has considerable height gain. Lohajung has one GMVN tourist lodge, one Tourist Rest House and few private hotels. All the major mobile networks have connectivity here. The sunset from Lohajung needs a special mention indeed. Warm colours on Nandaghunti massif is bound to make you speechless. The night accommodation in Tourist Rest House/Lodge.
Trek to Didna– 10 Km – 5 hours
Trek to Ali Bugyal forest camp – 8 Km – 5/6 hours
Climb Bedni top - explore Bedni Bugyal - trek down to Gahroli Patal - 7 Km - 6/7 hours
Trek down to Wan – 9 Km – 4/5 hours - by car Lohajung - 1 hour
Drive to Rishikesh/Haridwar - 250-270 Km - 10/11 hours
Today morning we start our return journey and this time to Haridwar. We follow the same route till Tharali and turn right towards Karnaprayag following the turquoise Pindar river. From Karnaprayag we follow Alaknanda river till Rudraprayag where another tributary Mandakini meets. Following the river valley at Devprayag, two main sources Alaknanda and Bhagirathi river form the holy river Ganga. Rishikesh is another two hours journey from here. Finally we reach Haridwar completing our journey. Trip ends here.
Note that it is also possible to return to Kathgodam like you reached Lohajung.
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
TREK FEE: ₹ 8950 (Ghes to Himni) per person + 5% GST
All accommodation in tents (Day 1 to Day 4) on a twin sharing basis.
All meals during the trek. Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including occasional eggs), breakfast, packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), light evening refreshments/snacks and dinner along with tea/soup.
Excellent Trekking Guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon. (Bring your sleeping bag if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
Kitchen tent, dining tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
Car drop from trek end point Wan to Lohajung on Day 5.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Travel and Medical Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age). It covers your trek as well as your return journey to Rishikesh for a duration of 7 days.
Transportation from Rishikesh to Ghes and return from Himni to Rishikesh. A Tata Sumo fare is ₹ 7500 one way.
We assume that you will carry your personal Rucksack/Backpack with all your personal belongings. If you want to offload your Rucksack and be carried by our Pack Animal/Porter then you need to pay an additional ₹ 900 for the entire duration of the trek. The Rucksack should not weigh more than 10 Kg.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT support staff.
Anything which is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” (https://himalayatrekker.com/terms-and-conditions) before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit/AMEX cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full TREK/TOUR FEE.
- “Booking Amount” i.e.25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you avery flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to informminimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to [email protected]
There are no reviews yet.
Leave a Review