Roopkund an alpine medium size lake, situated at an altitude of 16000 ft inside the district of Chamoli in Garhwal region (State of Uttarakhand), bordering western flank of Kumaon. Roopkund trek route has almost everything a high Himalayan trek can offer. Two seasons, first one in Summer/Pre Monsoon ( a month and half starting from mid of May) and the other being Post Monsoon/Fall ( for 2 months, starting from early September) spanning around a window of 3 and half months in a calendar year.
The trekking trail in the lower altitude goes through interior villages, inside the Banj Oak and then Kharsu Oak jungles to finally Rhododendrons. Around ~ 3300 m/11000 ft the Tree Line recedes and alpine meadow or locally called “Bugyal” starts. Sprawling meadow, common to this altitude in Himalaya, but this picturesque span needs a special mention. Mighty Himalayan peaks peep behind the wild flower carpeted grassy slopes. On higher altitude barren rocky terrain coupled with snow and ice ignite the adventurous mind. Trishul and Nandaghunti peaks cordon the area while Mrigthuni Chowkhamba, Neelkanth and other peaks set the backdrop.
This is not all. The lake is often called Mystery Lake or Skeleton Lake. Skeletons of over 200 people remain in and around this shallow lake of maximum 2 metre depth. The cold climate helped to preserve the hairs and soft tisseus. Stories and legends meet to a logical conclusion that a group of pilgrims reached the lake with locals and were crossing the Junargali Pass above Roopkund. Bad weather sealed their fate. Scientific research unveil that the skeletons are as old as dating back to 850 A.D. ( Source : The Nanda Devi Affair, Bill Aitken, ISBN: 9780140240450; National Geographic : Riddles of the dead: Skeleton Lake). It is truly a fascinating journey to listen the legends from the local and experiencing the present.
Watch this fantastic short film “Roopkund – Rocking The Himalayas” depicting the journey to Roopkund. This is filmed and edited by Mario Yáñez Aller. He trekked with HT during May/June 2015 season. This is shared for viewing purpose only.
Filming and editing: Mario Yáñez Aller
Music: Dirty Paws .-. Of Monsters and Men
Cameras: GoPro 4 Silver Edition, Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 350 D
Day 1: Kathgodam to Lohajung – 220 Km by car – 10 hours
Day 2: Lohajung to Didna – 10 Km – 4/5 hours
Day 3: Didna to Bedni Bugiyal – 12 Km – 6/7 hours
Day 4: Bedni Bugiyal to Patar Nachuni – 4 Km – 2/3 hour
Day 5: Patar Nachuni to Baguabasa – 5 Km – 4/5 hours
Day 6: Baguabasa to Roopkund and back to Patar Nachuni – 12 Km – 8/10 hours
Day 7: Patar Nachuni to Wan – 17 Km – 8/9 hr – 1 hour drive back to Lohajung
Day 8: Lohajung to Kathgodam – 220 Km by car – 10 hours
*** Trekkers need to reach on their own to Kathgodam on Day 1 morning (by 7 am) or the previous night. Return to Kathgodam on Day 8 evening (by 7 pm). Arrange your tickets for inward journey and back to home from Kathgodam accordingly ***
Can I try Roopkund trek as my first hiking/trekking on the Himalayas?
Yes you can try Roopkund trek as your first trek. It is always better if you have prior hiking/trek experience(s) like in Sahyadris or in Deccan or perhaps on any trail. Experiences walking on snow/icy conditions definitely helps in pre monsoon/summer season. This is NOT a Difficult but a Moderate grade trek and we do encourage first timers on this trail. But not to forget that this takes you to an alpine lake which is really high altitude in any standard (Just less than 16000 ft). To minimise the risk (as that any high altitude Himalayan trekking) you must have the following:
- A healthy physical condition [as well as mental; You need to adjust and share on mountains :-)] with any known issues related to heart or lung.
- Must be in a fitness training schedule. Your focus should be achieving more cardio vascular output through a regular aerobic training. A minimum of 2 months training is a must that you can walk comfortably on the slope. People will find it easier who are already following a routine. It is it highly advised that you follow a minimum of 6 months routine (weekly 4/5 days of training for an hour or more) if you are not living an active life at present. To know more on how to prepare, click here.
- Specialised personal gears like waterproof trekking shoes, warm jacket, wind cum waterproof jacket are must. To read on how to choose the right gear click here.
- And most importantly you need reliable and experienced support team who know every corner of the trail. In high altitude an unexpected weather can increase the risk many fold. Trekkers who wish to go independently must have an experienced freelance guide and his team to provide support and guidance that you are safely back to trek base.
Is Roopkund trek better in Summer (May/Jun) or Post Monsoon Sep/Oct)?
Well, each season has its own beauty, and advantages. In India, summer treks are popular for much anticipated reasons. A summer vacation, respite from scorching days along with snowy alpine lake are solid to be a compelling proposition. No wonder that Roopkund trek is defacto the most popular summer trek in India. If you are not keen on these but like to hike on the same trail when it’s less crowded over lush greener meadows (Bugyals are indeed best in Aug/Sep), flowers in abundance then post monsoon is the right choice for you. So the journey of the frozen Roopkund in summer is a different one than the original skeletal lake as seen in post monsoon. Actually there is no disadvantage in any season (assuming you have a solid support team) and you may choose any.
Access to Roopkund trek base (Lohajung):
Based upon your request we will arrange a pick up and drop from Kathgodam to Lohajung and back. This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is Rs 5500 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. This can accommodate 6 to 8 people. A Tempo Traveller charges Rs 9000 (12-14 seat) one way. This is NOT included in any TREK FEE.
To reach the trek base Lohajung independently/public transportation check the details in GETTING THERE TAB.
Roopkund trek – Altitude profile and Distance:
Below is a graphical representation of the altitude and distance of major points on Roopkund trek trail.
Duration: 6 days of trekking; Walking from Lohajung to Roopkund and back to Wan. 8 days from Kathgodam to Kathgodam.
Prerequisite: Prior Himalayan trekking experience is a plus. Specially in the summer/pre monsoon due to snow and icy conditions.
Trail Length: 55 Km
Highest Point: Roopkund ~ 4800m/15750ft
Seasons: May/June (Summer/Pre monsoon) & September/October (Post Monsoon/Fall)
Further Option: From Roopkund climb Junargali and continue to Homkund and finally to Ronty Saddle. Difficult long duration trek.
Access: Trek starting point (trek base) is Lohajung, 220 Km from Kathgodam.
Rail station: Kathgodam (Station Code: KGM)
Upcoming scheduled dates for Roopkund trek:
Please check the available dates from the Booking Form calendar in the sidebar/tab. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 8 day’s itinerary).
You can send a request through REGISTER NOW button or directly book using the BOOK NOW button in the Booking Form.
|REPORTING LOCATION||Kathgodam railways station|
|REPORTING TIME||7:00 AM for a prompt departure to Lohajung (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 7:00 PM (Day 8)|
How to reach Lohajung (The trek base):
Nearest Rail station: Kathgodam (Station Code: KGM)
Nearest Airport: Delhi
We will arrange a pick up and drop from Kathgodam to Lohajung and back. This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is Rs 5500 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. These can accommodate 6 to 8 people. Similarly a Tempo Traveller charges Rs 9000 which can accommodate 12 people. This is NOT included in the TREK FEE and to be payable directly to the driver/owner.
If you wish to reach our Trek Base Lohajung on your own by public transportation:
- From Kathgodam there is no direct bus or shared car service to Lohajung. Reach latest by 6 am to Haldwani (The city, 4 Km before Kathgodam) and take a shared Jeep service to Deval. This is is 25 Km before Lohajung. From Deval you may get another shared service to Lohajung or you may have to hire one.
- If you travel from Haridwar side, then reach Rishikesh on the previous night (Day 0, 25 Km from Haridwar) and board the bus for Mandoli/Lohajung at 5 am next morning. This private bus takes 12 to 14 hours to reach Lohajung. As this is a privately operated bus so may not operate during the high demand of Chardham yatra season. The route is via Devprayag, Rudraprayag, Karanprayag, Tharali and Deval. 260 Km.
- From Lohajung the bus to Rishikesh starts early in the morning by 6 am and reach by 6 pm .
How to reach Kathgodam:
For the treks in Kumaon or in the bordering area of Garhwal, one has to reach Kathgodam/Haldwani normally. Lal Kuan is just 20 Km and Haldwani is 5 Km before Kathgodam. Bus, shared taxi and private cars are available.
You can fly or by train reach New Delhi as per your convenience from any part within India. Reach Delhi accordingly that you have enough time for transit withing Delhi.
There are direct trains from Kolkata to Kathgodam(KGM)/Lal Kuan(LKU)
BAGH EXPRESS – Train No. 13019 (ONLY book when you stay the night at Kathgodam, DON’t book this train when you plan a long onward journey immediately in the morning)]
HWH LKU EXP – Train No. 12353 – Lalkuan Express (runs only on Friday, you need to stay at Kathgodam for the night, only 20 Km away)
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
You can reach KATHGODAM/HALDWANI EASILY FROM NEW DELHI BY TRAIN OR BUS (~ 6/8 HOURS) AND IS AROUND 270 KM.
Following trains are good to reach Kathgodam and run daily.
RANIKHET EXP – Train No. 15013 (best option, runs overnight, arrives KGM early morning @ 5 am. Board from Delhi(DLI)/Old Delhi Junction station)
UTR SAMPRK K EX – Uttaranchal Sampark Kranti Express – Train No. 15035 (good option when you stay the night @ Kathgodam and travel next morning)
ANVT KGM SHT – Anand Vihar Kathgodam Shatabdi Express – Train No. 12040 (Arrives KGM in the morning @ 11:40 am, alternate choice when you stay the night in Kathgodam and travel by car next morning)
Always avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Haldwani buses are more frequent than that of Kathgodam. Its easy to reach Kathgodam from Haldwani which is only 5 Km away.
Govt. Road Transport (Roadways of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana etc) buses are frequently available in day time and night from Anand Vihar ISBT Tickets are available on board for these regular type buses. Some of the state transport companies offer online reservation for Volvo/A.C Luxury buses. Check these Govt. operated state bus services for online booking:
From Delhi Airport or Station you can reach ISBT Anand Vihar via Delhi Metro service (http://www.delhimetrorail.com/metro-fares.aspx).
For privately operated bus, you can book online from different portals (http://www.redbus.in). Select a boarding point suitably. Overnight Volvo/A.C/Push back bus service.
For night stay in Kathgodam:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Kathgodam. There are few options in Kathgodam for spending a night while staying in Standard accommodation.
State run KMVN (Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam) operates Tourist Rest House at Kathgodam just opposite to the railway station (beside Bus stand). This is a reliable and a decent choice for Standard accommodation. Check the following for reservation of the above
There are privately run hotels/lodges near Kathgodam railway station & Haldwani Bus terminus.
Return from Kathgodam:
Normally you reach from trek base to Kathgodam by 5/6 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 7 pm or regular bus service as mentioned above to reach Delhi or directly to your homeward journey.
Drive from Kathgodam to Lohajung - 220 Km - 10 hours
Trek to Didna - 10 Km - 5 hours
Trek to Bedni Bugyal - 12 Km - 6/7 hours
Trek to Patar Nachuni 5 Km - 3 hours
Trek to Baguabasa - 4 Km - 4 hours
Baguabasa to Roopkund and back to Patar Nachuni – 12 Km – 8/10 hours
Patar Nachuni to Wan – 15Km – 7/8 hours – 1 hour drive back to Lohajung
Drive from Lohajung to Kathgodam – 220 Km by car 9/10 hours
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
TREK FEE: ₹ 9900 (Lohajung to Lohajung) + 9% Service Tax
Book for 3-5 persons and get a discount of 5% and for 5 or more persons get flat 10% Group Discount
2 nights accommodation at Lohajung (Day 1 & Day 7) in hotel/lodge on sharing basis and dinner.
All meals during the trek. Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including occasional eggs), breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
Excellent Mountain Guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
Stay in tents on sharing basis as required in the trek.
Kitchen tent, dinning tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
Sleeping Mattress and Sleeping Bag (Bring your own sleeping if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
Car drop from Wan to Lohajung on Day 7.
Accidental adventure tour insurance coverage. All Indian nationals joining our scheduled departure treks are insured against accidents in a trekking trip up to 5000m/16400 ft for a period of 14 days.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Transportation from Kathgodam to Lohajung and back (Rs 1500-1800 per persons both ways for the pick up and drop).
We assume that you will carry your personal Rucksack/Backpack with all your personal belongings. If you want to offload your rucksack and carried by horse then you need to pay
additional ₹ 1500 for the entire duration of the trek. The Rucksack must not weigh more than 10 Kg.
Any tip/gratuity to the HT supports staff.
Anything is is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the Trek/Tour Fee as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit/AMEX cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full Trek/Tour Fee.
- “Booking Amount” i.e. 25% of the Trek/Tour Fee is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you a very flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to inform minimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from 14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to email@example.com